Any hope for sagging arms? (Photo)

Do I need a lift or can I just lose weight? I have bad skin elasticity and am really doughy.

Arm lift

Based on what I see on the picture, looks like that you will benefit from an arm lift, scars are the major downside of this surgery. 

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Arm Procedure

Hi, thank you for the photo.

It appears your elasticity is good. I would recommend liposcultpture for your arms, not a brachioplasty.

this procedure can be done in the office under a local sedation or under general anesthesia . Bruising & swelling are the most common symptoms after surgery. we send you home wearing compression sleeve garment and ask that you keep your arms elevated for the first 1-2 weeks. very small incisions.

Hope this helps.

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Any hope for sagging arms?

I think that arm lift surgery would be the best recommendation based upon the picture.

Arm lift or weight loss?

Thank you for asking about your arm lift.

• I doubt that your problem is weight -
  • You seem to have loose skin and weight loss will make it looser.
  • I suggest you discuss an arm lift with a plastic surgeon - you are probably a good candidate for a limited incision procedure.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hope for sagging upper arms

There absolutely is something you can do for sagging upper arms and you don't need to lose weight or have surgery. At Changes Plastic Surgery in San Diego, we employ the Inmode RFAL system that safely removes fat and shrink wraps the skin all through a tiny port hole.  Arm lifts (brachioplasty) surgically remove the skin and fat but leave you with an incision from underarm to elbow. This procedure is completely incisionless and scarless.  If you are up for a visit to San Diego, we can greatly improve your sagging upper arms without surgery.

Gilbert Lee, MD

Arm lift

Thanks for your question. It appears that the excess skin is mainly located up near the armpit, in which case a limited arm lift (scars limited to the axilla) may be enough. However you have your elbow straight, and this does tighten the lower forearm skin. If when you bend the elbow the laxity of your skin extends further toward your elbow then you would probably also require a scar running longitudinally down the inside of you arm. Liposuction alone may improve your situation, as not only does this remove excess fat, but does cause some limited skin retraction. However I would always recommend loosing weight before such surgery. If it comes off the arms then you don't need the surgery. If it doesn't, then the final surgical result will be better as it will be easier to calculate the amount of excess skin to remove with your weight having already reduced.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Arm contour

Thanks for your question.  We encourage exercise and a healthy diet for all patients, but as you probably know, you do not get to choose where you put on weight and you do not get to select where it comes off from.  Given the loose skin, I don't think that liposuction could achieve your goals.  As my colleagues have suggested, you may be a candidate for a limited incision brachioplasty to excise skin and soft tissue.  Consider a formal consultation, and good luck!

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Limited brachioplasty

You would benefit from limited brachioplasty which will improve the contour of your arms. We would begin with liposuction of your arms and then tighten any redundant skin using a limited incision. Please see example below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Sagging arms

You can lose weight which will reduce the fat under the skin but the skin will not tighten if you have poor skin elasticity as you mention.  The younger we are the more elasticity our skin tends to have.  There is also a genetic component in that sometimes even young people have poor skin elasticity.  A brachioplasty would get rid of the extra skin.  Best wishes!

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Arm options Arm lift Brachioplasty

Thank you for checking. Loose skin at the arm is common. Losing weight would not likely allow the skin to shrink and tighten here. A tuck (or skin tightening) procedure is usually needed. This is also called a brachioplasty. See a board certified plastic surgeon who can show you examples and properly assess your arms and needs. Best wishes!