Worried about hard tissue that has formed, sticking out, 2 wks post gyno surgery, tissue is hard as a rock, top of chest?(photo)

Had surgery done by very experienced surgeon who i'll see next week. I have a hard lump like a bottle cap on a site where serum was extracted one day post surgery. It is painful and has got bigger, today a doctor ruled out infection after ultrasound but couldn't I.D what it was. Its a very hard lump, he couldn't confirm hematoma or not but its in the less swollen of the two side. I am worried as it is rock solid and a little painful and is sticking out. Any help would be grateful. Thanks.

Worried About Hard Tissue 2 Wks Post Gyno Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Lump

Thanks for photo.  It certainly can be a small blood collection.  Generally, these are nothing to worry about.  However, be sure to get it checked out by your doc next week.

Tim Neavin, MD

Lump

Thank you for the photo and question but an examination is needed and as you will be shortly seeing your surgeon asK him

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD