Is it possible to wash away hair follicles on day 3 post hair transplant operation?

Hi there I'm on day 4 post op. I'm a bit worried that I may have lost some hair grafts. I didn't shower until day 3. I initially applied the lotion, but it wouldn't wash off even after repeatedly pouring water over the my head. I had to resort to showering it off. I've had to do this the last 2 days but I'm a bit worried I could have dislodged hair follicles and washed them away. Does anyone have any advice on this. Thanks

Wash away hair follicles 3 days post op

Transplanted hair follicles are extremely fragile and care needs to be taken when washing them.  Very light/ gentle scrubbing 3 days after the procedure to wash the grafts is appropriate and what I recommend to patients.  After about 7 days I have them wash and scrub a little more vigorously.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Can I wash away the hair follicles 3 days after a hair transplant

Of course, if your goal is to wash them away, you can do that, but if you follow the instructions that your doctor gave you, you should be fine. See web reference which addresses this below.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op,care

Yes it is possible,to wash away if you pull the grafts or are aggressive during shampooing. We recommend that our clients wash very densely with a very low pressure water for the first seven day and start to rub very gently 7-10 days and return to normal washing routine after two weeks.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Follow instructions

Always follow your doctor's instructions.  Most doctors would say you can wash your hair starting next day.  It would take effort to dislodge grafts after 3 to 4 days.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

When are grafts 'secure' after a transplant?

I tell patients that grafts are fairly well glued in place around day 5-6. So yes, it's possible that vigorous rubbing and washing can dislodge grafts in the first few days. It's not common but all in all if you're worried be sure to check in with your surgeon. He or she would want to know and may have specific advice at this point.

Loss of hair transplants

Hair grafts are usually quite secure after 4-5 days. You very well could have lost a few grafts from what you describe. See your surgeon. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 days after hair transplant

It is possible in theory but pretty unlikely. The surface of the skin seals at 5-6 days.
Your surgeon/clinic should have provided you with specific care instructions about hair washing and if you follow them then all should be ok
i suggest you visit the clinic or at least speak to them about it so they can examine you and hopefully re assure you 

Bessam Farjo, MBChB
Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon

Washed away follicles?

If it didn't bleed, then most likely the follicles are still in place.

I advise all my hair transplant patients to wash gently the scalp for the first 6 days then at 10 days start rubbing off the crusts aggressively.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon