Rhinoplasty - Heart Murmur (surgery as a child)

I had a hole in my heart and had a surgery for heart murmer at age 11. everything has been fine since and discharged from hospital many years ago. In terms of having an open rhino with general anaesthesia, do I have a higher chance of risk of anything potentially going wrong? Should I avoid surgery with general anaesthetic involved and should my potential doctor recommend I or himself do any tests before hand? Thanks

Your questions are so important -- This is elective surgery, so safety is paramount and even mild risks should be avoided. The person to weigh in on this subject would be either a cardiologist or anesthesiologist. Since you won't meet an anesthesiologist until you sign up for surgery it is best to have your primary doctor refer you to a cardiologist. They can give you a very educated risk profile, which will hopefully be very low, and let you know the pertinent issues. Hope that helps!

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty & Heart Murmer

It's certainly possible to have a rhinoplasty when you've had a heart murmer. However, if you were my patient, I would want you to get clearance from a cardiologist before seeing me. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty-heart murmur

It is possible to undergo a rhinoplasty procedure with a heart murmur and a previously closed hole in your heart. It's probably best to have clearance by your primary care physician/Cardiologist before undergoing elective cosmetic surgery such as a rhinoplasty under general anesthesia. In our practice, we perform allĀ  closed rhinoplasty surgeries under general anesthesia by a board-certified physician anesthesiologist for patient safety and comfort.