When healed, do implants appear larger or shrink? 34b. 5ft7. slim. 140pounds. 400ccs (Photo)

had my BA yday, 400cc unders, High profile as you can see from my pictures they are covered with a sports bra and band so i cant see much until my 1 week check up . I love the look already, they look a nice large size to me. My question is - do you think they will remain the same size just change shape? OR will they shrink a lot with swelling etc? Also, why do I have to wear compression band for 6 weeks when my friends went with same surgeon and didnt need this? ? :) thanks for any answers xx

When healed, do implants appear larger or shrink?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure; I'm glad to hear that you are pleased with the outcome of surgery thus far.  It is actually quite common for many patients at your stage of recovery to feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too  small.
I routinely ask my patients  to wait at least 3-6 months before   evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery.  This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.  

From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. Factors such as swelling,  tissue contraction,  skin redraping,  implant shifting etc. come into play. Dropping and fluffing may actually make breasts APPEAR larger as breast implants settle

From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period"  during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about.  Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.

In your case, I would suggest continued patience. Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon,  who will be your best resource when it comes to answering your question about the compression band usage.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Size Changes Following Augmentation

It is very difficult to accurately assess size so soon after surgery.  Swelling will usually reach its peak at 2-3 days following surgery and then gradually subside.  What takes longer to occur is the stretching of the skin, breast tissue and muscle.  Typically what you will observe as this happens is softening of the breast and settling of the implant with a reduction in upper breast fullness and some increase in lower fullness and projection of the breast.  This phase of the healing process requires patience.  As to why you have certain garments, that is a question best directed to your surgeon.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Answers

Congratulations on your new additions. They will likely change shape more than they will decrease in size. You'll lose some of the fullness you have on top and gain in over the lower portion of your breast. I put a breast band on all my augmentation patients, your surgeon may only put them on patients with high profile implants as they take a little longer to drop due to their shape. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

How will you look in 4-6 months after a breast augmentation?

You are swollen so when you fully heal, you will be somewhat smaller. Also, the implants initially sit high but they tend to drop and settle with time. Give yourself a good 4-6 months to see your final shape. Your operating surgeon knows why he is using that compression garment so follow his post op protocol. Good luck and best wishes for a great result!