Is it true that all silicone implants no longer leak? They form a mushroom if ruptured then go back into the shell?

When I was told about the mushroom effect I thought the surgeon was referring to gummy bear implants but I called back and his assistant said all silicone implants for a mushroom if broken. Silicone no longer "leaks" into the body. Is this true?

Silicone implants

Silicone implants that are cohesive can ooze out of the implant shell if ruptured  The gummy bears do not.  

The new highly cohesive silicone gel (gummy) implants are first and are not a liquid, thus are extremely safe.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

This is a characteristic of the new generation of Silicone Gel Cohesive Implants. The Gel is harder, more cohesive and not liquid. So when the capsule of the implant breaks the gel goes out under  pressure and as soon as pressure stops the gel goes back and get into the shell again making, as you said, a "mushroom effect".It is completely true, they don't  leak.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Silicone implants don't leak

The new generation of silicone breast implants don't leak  out of their shell  when ruptured. They're much more stable and tend  to maintain their shape and integrity .  That's one of the reasons that it's very hard to tell that they've even ruptured without doing special studies like an ultrasound or MRI.  

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Yes, this is true. The new gel is like "jello" as opposed to the old gel like "honey," and does not leak through the shell (gel bleed), nor leaks out into the tissue if the bag were to break. This makes these implants safer and have fewer complications than the old gel implants.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon