Do surgeons typically recommend bi-annual MRI checkups when patients get silicone implants?

i just want to consider the full cost of getting breast implants. I originally thought it would be around $6-$7,500 for the implant procedure and maybe an implant replacement 10-15 years down the road. I had a phone consult with a surgeons assistant and she said he recommends getting MRIs done every other year to check for leakage but insurance won't cover it. It can cost around $2000 each time. As a mother of two small kids, that dollar amount is a strong deterrent.

FDA

The FDA recommends this, however it is not obligatory and the insurance companies are unwilling to pay for it.  I recommend a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants and MRI

The FDA recommend that an MRI be performed every 2 years.   This is a recommendation and not mandatory.  

Do I need to get an MRI if I get silicone implants?

The FDA recommendations for silicone breast implants in United States are for the patient to get an MRI every 3 years.  However, most surgeons recommend that you get an MRI or ultrasound only if you experience a problem or concern that something may be happening with the implant.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

FDA recommendation is every other year.

Hello and thanks. Bi-annual usually means twice a year and the FDA recommendations is every other year. I am not familiar with anyone recommending bi-annual MRI simply to check the status of the silicone implant. I make patients aware of FDA recommendations but find that every other year MRI is not practical. You should consider saline if you don't want to worry about MRI in your future. However, you should also consider that saline implants may have a higher revision rate over time when compared to silicone. Best, 
Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD