Surgeon recommended high profile but I think I want moderate plus?

Hi, I am 5'2" 105lbs. I am pretty much completely flat chested. I am looking at 300cc to 335cc. Trying to achieve a natural looking full C cup. With my small frame, would a high profile implant look too fake? I'm not sure why my surgeon recommended it. When searching this site, I am happy with mod plus photos. HP photos look good in clothes but not really natural naked.

High profile implant?

I agree with your gut feeling about implant size. High profile implants never look natural. Your surgeon is probably thinking that to accommodate the size of cc that you want he needs a high profile implant to place into the chest.  A moderate to moderate plus implant is more likely to give you the results you're looking for. You may even want to discuss the possibility of using temporary Sizer's during surgery to find the optimum size for your shape. In my practice we often use sizers when there is a question of whether or not someone's chest can accommodate a  certain size  and still look like the desired natural result 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

M+ vs high profile

Thank you for your question.  The type of implant profile that is best for a particular person is usually based on several factors their breast dimensions, desired size, skin tone and breast tissue thickness, etc.  This is why it is not possible to give advice on the implant profile without a proper assessment.

Implant choice

Hello and thank you for your question.  I recommend setting up another appointment with your surgeon to discuss this.  The profile and size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

High profile

I agree with you. higth profile are less natural looking. however the tradeoff may be a little more side boob and a little more superior pole fullness

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant - why did my surgeon recommend a high profile?

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.
  • it sounds as though you want an implant that is large for your chest - let me explain.
  • A 350 cc moderate plus implant requires a chest width of 13 cm.
  • A 350 cc high profile requires a chest width of only 11 cm.
  • Your surgeon suggested a high profile because a moderate-plus implant this isze is too big for your chest. 
  • So you need to talk to your surgeon about your priorities - is it a natural look or is it size?
  • I have women patients who are small like you who are a full C in a 250 cc implant - a 250 cc moderate plus implant will fit an 11 cm chest 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Implants

First, in order to guide you, you would have to be seen in person. Second,  the more natural breast tissue you have to the size of implant, the less fake the implants usually look.  Good luck!

HP vs Moderate +

Moderate + is more natural, but to go wider on your breast implant some people have to go smaller on the size overall. The recommendation for a particular breast shape and implant width is based on your anatomy. The most important number to consider is always the breast width or diameter or your natural breast. Using a breast implant that is the closest to that width is the most effective strategy. In general, for breast implants of equal size, the moderate + is wider when compared to the high profile. Perhaps the size you've chosen will overcome your breast width with in moderate + shape. Consider seeing a few more plastic surgeons and compare and contrast recommendations based on your desired outcome. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Thank you for your question.The choice a implant shape plays a critical role in achieving your goals.   I use the dimensions of the woman's chest and breast to help choose the shape of implant.   You have a small frame so a narrow more projected implant may be a better choice for you.   Without seeing any photos or the chance to examine you, I am inclined to agree with your plastic surgeon that the high profile implant may be a good choice.    I recommend sitting with your plastic surgeon again and discussing your concerns.   

Thank you for your question.  The choice on implant profile depends on your desired goal size and the dimensions of your chest. Though most women benefit from a moderate plus profile to maintain a natural appearance, if your chest is too narrow to accommodate the size implant you want you may need the high profile implant to better match your breast width.  Hope this helps.

Best to discuss with your surgeon

This is best to discuss with your surgeon.  High profile implants project more because they are more narrow.  At 100lbs you may be very narrow and thus the doc may only be able to fit this type of implant on your frame.  Ask him/her to show you the implants, explain your measurements, and make a mutual decision about what will work best for you.  Different implants look VERY different on different body types and you need to discuss your surgeons thoughts with your doc.