Are there any down sides to gummy bear implants?

I went on two consults and hears conflicting info. I want silicone unders 325cc. One surgeon with 8yrs exp. and an underwhelming before/after portfolio only uses gummy bears. It sounded perfect. Felt soft, safe, won't leak. The other surgeon with 30yrs exp and a good before/after gallery doesn't use gummies because it requires a larger incision, said they're unnatural feeling and difficult to get into the body because they're harder. But Non gummy implants require MRI's often to check for leaks.

Gummy Bear

I recommend the silicone gummy bear implants.  They are highly cohesive and give you the most ideal result.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Bear Breast Implants

All silicone breast implants today would be considered 'gummy bears' because every manufacturer uses a highly cohesive silicone gel. They are all equally safe. All breast implants have a lifelong risk of rupture. (disruption of the enveloping shell) Whether one chooses to get MRIs to monitor for shell disruption after surgery is a personal decision between the patient and the surgeon.

Gummy implants

I tend to agree with the latter surgeon's description. I will also say that the gummy's are textured and do not move around like the smooth implants, and also the gummy's being anatomic/teardrop shaped have a polarity and that means that if they turn in the body a bit, they may look odd.  Round implants do not have that issue.

Implant style

I have over 30 years of experience and use only smooth round implants. They are the best. Gummy bears are too hard, they don't move and require a larger incision to put in. If they are not put in 100% correctly they look odd and are a problem. Most Drs don't agree with the feds on the 3 year MRI. The feeling is that if the implant feels fine - it is fine and if it aint broke don't try to fix it. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast augmentation to Gummy or not?

Most ASAPS board certified plastic surgeons use smooth round silicone implants(80%), they do this for several reasons, the first is silicone round breast implants usually have a natural like bounce. Second they have a low incidence of rupture, third they look good and most often feel the most natural. The Gummy implants are harder and have a significant incidence of fluid collections or seroma. The textured implants have been associated with a rare problem ALCL. Get all the facts before you decide. Also it is good to try on implants, sizers (Mentor) and get a Vectra 3 dimensional analysis. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Down sides to gummy bear implants?

Gummy bear breast implants, also known as form stable implants, have only one advantage that has been scientifically proven and that is it has as slightly lower chance of having a problem with capsular contractures. A capsular contracture is the hard scar tissue that the body sometimes will form around and implant.  They also have some proven disadvantages.  Since they have a tear drop shape and have be placed in precise position with the wide part on the bottom they can sometimes move and flip over in the body.  The wide part can end up on the side, middle or top part of the breast.  Otherwise, the safety profile is the same.  They both can yield very natural looking results, have very similar chances of rupturing or not rupturing and both will hold their form and not leak if ruptured.  Research has been done asking both plastic surgeons and regular people if they can tell after surgery whether a patient had gummy bear implant or round gel implants they could see a difference.  I think that in some patients with very little natural breast tissue to start that the gummy bears offer an advantage by helping to shape the breast.  But, in a majority of people it really won't make a big difference.When I counsel a patient I feel after you have all the information that it really comes down to personal choice for you. Both are safe. You should be comfortable with both the implant choice and your surgeon.   If you are not comfortable with any of the choices keep looking until you are.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Gummy bear implants

My personal experience is as follows: Silicone implants are much better feeling than saline. While the FDA has guidelines about MRI's, this is not a widely adopted practice. Most women have their surgery and go about their lives. Within the silicone realm, I favor the more filled implants such as Inspira over the less filled implants. Gummy bear implants are very nice, but they do not feel as soft as regular silicone and they have the potential to rotate causing a possibly irregular shape. I do not believe the incision has to be much different and typically use a funnel device to insert, thereby limiting the length. Good luck hunting,

Gummy bear implants

Shaped, aka, anatomic or "tear drop", implants currently referred to as "gummy bear" implants are certainly the newest technology out there, but they are not gaining widespread acceptance with plastic surgeons.  I personally use them a fair amount in breast reconstruction cases as much as possible because those patients do not have any breast tissue or any natural tear drop shape to their breast reconstructions.  Cosmetically, by far the majority of patients do have some semblance of natural tear drop shape to their breasts.  For that reason, and because of some of the issues mentioned (not a natural feel, larger incision) as well as the potential for imperfect alignment, I generally prefer round, smooth, gel (or saline for smaller implants relative to native breast volume) implants.  At a recent national plastic surgery meeting an audience (of plastic surgeons) was polled about whether or not the patients in pre- vs. post-op breast augmentation "slides" shown had gotten shaped or round implants. Results showed that only 50% of the surgeons were correct in their answers. For the added cost and risk (of malrotation) I don't think I am yet convinced that shaped implants are best for most of my patients.  Clearly this is my opinion, but I am not alone.  There are those surgeons who will have exactly the opposite opinion, which is fine.  That is why they call them opinions.  Best to find a surgeon with whom you are comfortable and go with them.

Gummy Bear Implants

I am a big fan of the cohesive gel implants also referred to as gummy bear.  The feel is much more natural than saline implants.  There are no problems with routine mammograms.  I have never heard of having to have an MRI to check for leaks.  My surgical assistant has driven over them with her SUV as well as standing on them to try and break them. She has also cut them in half to see that the gel is cohesive and is not like sticky taffy gel of the implants of years ago. The only gel implants I have seen ruptured were old gels.  The gel was encased in the capsule, which was removed.  I would not hesitate to get the newer implants.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD