Risks and benefits of Pulsed Dye Laser (Photo)

My local dermatologist (who also specializes in cosmetic dermatology) has recommended that I do a few sessions of the Pulsed Dye Laser to address the red spots on my face from acne that are left before I purse the Infini for the indented scars on my face. I had decided not to do laser for my indented scars due to the risks and reviews I've read online, plus it does not address the indents. What are the risks of the PDL? Change of skin texture or premature aging down the road? Is it safe?

Pulse dye laser

Pulse dye laser is one of the safest lasers around.  Any procedure or medication can come with risks, so you need to be informed, but I wouldn't let that deter you from pursuing treatment.  If your dermatologist is a physician and has experience in laser (cosmetic dermatology) you will most likely be very happy.  The risks with any laser including pulse dye laser include hyperpigmentation (dark spots), hypopigmentation (light spots), blistering, scar, eye damage if proper eyewear not worn.  It is normal to have temporary redness, swelling, an possibly a bruise depending on the settings.  Be sure to avoid any sun or tanning before and afterwards.  The risks are magnified the darker your skin tone, and I would not advise using pulse dye laser in black skin.  

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon