Lopsided breast implants common?

i scheduled a consult with a surgeon who has great credentials and I initially thought he had great before/after photos. After looking more carefully I've noticed that about 1 out of 5 pics have lopsided breasts after it's been augmented. A few started off slightly lopsided to begin with but there are also a few that started out even and ended up lopsided (one side bigger than the other). I noticed it is always the patients left breast that is smaller or higher. Is there a reason for this?

Lopsided breast implants common?

Thank you for your question!  I always tell patients that whatever asymmetries between each breast that they may have preoperatively will be magnified once augmented.  It is difficult to sometimes see these differences in preoperative photos before augmentation in two dimensions.  There can be asymmetries in chest wall, fold height, volume, shape, etc that may factor into the post operative result.  Discussing your concerns further with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon can help you understand what your asymmetries may be and whether trying to correct for these in surgery would be a good idea or potentially create more asymmetries.  Best wishes and Good Luck!Dr. Tag

Asymmetry

Aside from breast volume differences which are common, the breast crease can also sit naturally at slightly different heights which can make an implant appear to sit higher on one side after surgery. Small adjustments can sometimes be made to even these differences out. It is important to note that breasts are very rarely symmetric and inserting implants can draw attention to little differences, at least temporarily. I recommend that you discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon so that they can let you know what to expect as you continue to heal and settle.
All the best

Breast augmentation asymmetry

All breasts are different from one to the other. The skin, subcutaneous tissue, muscle, and bone are usually different. Recognizing this before surgery is critical to optimal results. It si good that you are looking at this critically. The Vectra 3 dimensional imaging system is helpful to computer analysis of each breast volume. Also trying on different implants and sizers are helpful. In any event seek a board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Before and After

Be sure to look at the asymmetry BEFORE surgery, since not everyone has idenitical shaped and sized breasts.  This can be corrected to some degree during surgery, however, as I tell all of my patients: "they are sisters, not twins!" I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Lopped Sided

Thank you for your question.  It is important to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgery and after consulting with the physician you should feel comfortable.  In terms of being lop sided.  The body is never perfectly symmetrically.  And as many might say, "they as sisters, not twins".  You should only be concerned if the difference is glaring, not subtle.  Your statement reflects to me that you really did not notice the difference until you took a second look.

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD