What Kind of Treatment for Overbite? (photo)

My dentist has just referred me to an orthodontist because he said my overbite/deepbite needs to be corrected (it's wearing down my teeth). How long does this treatment usually take and what is involved? I'm 21... here are some pictures. Thank you!

Doctor Answers 1

Orthodontic treatment is best

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend that you see and orthodontist as well.  I wonder too if you have any allergies, or breathing issues.  How well do you sleep?  There is a strong correlation between deep overbite, retruded lower jaw, narrow dental arches, high vault to the palate that can predispose a person to sleep apnea.  For good stability in you final result you should be sure to look into this aspect of your care.  I would advise against the removal of teeth to perform this, and try to have the orthodontist expand your dental arches.


Good luck.

Toronto Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.