What Kind of Surgery Do I Need for One Breast That is an A Cup and the Other is a C?

I was born with one of the muscles missing in my upper under arm which caused my one breast to be a lot larger.

Doctor Answers 4

Poland Syndrome, but see a plastic surgeon to confirm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I think what you are referring to is Poland Syndrome but you will have to see a plastic surgeon for a consultation to accurately diagnose this if indeed this is your situation.

Breast reconstruction for Poland Syndrome can include breast augmentation, breast tissue expander placement followed by implant placement, and sometimes muscle flap surgery, such as the latissimus dorsi musculocutaneous flap surgery.

I know this sounds complicated, but it doesn't have to be. See two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a consultation and recommendations. The plastic surgeon can go over your options with you and perhaps show you some pictures to explain.

Best of luck. I hope this helps.

Muscle Missing in the Chest

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

When one breast is smaller and the muscle under the breast is missing it is called Poland's Syndrome. It is a complicated reconstruction with multiple options. The only way to get answers to your questions is to have a formal consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon experienced in this type of surgery.

Poland's syndrome

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A breast implant alone will not make the breasts more symmetric. You will need to transfer a muscle from the back to the front and place implants in both breasts (a smaller one on the C side) to achieve reasonable symmetry.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry can be well corrected.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Usually, you would just need a breast implant in the smaller breast, or different size implants in each breast.  In your case, it sounds as if you have Poland's syndrome.  So you may also need a muscle flap.  See a couple of board certified plastic surgeons.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.