What Kind of Surgeon Should I Go to for This?

About 6 years ago I was hit with a baseball on my right eye. Now it is a lot puffier and obviously uneven compared to the left eye. What would be the least invasive surgery to correct this? Also, what kind of surgeon would specialize in this? Thank you!

Doctor Answers 10

Correcting Differences is Possible!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your photo shows a small difference in the upper eyelids which does not absolutely require surgery (many people naturally have this amount of asymmetry): it is not harmful. If you wish improvement, a Blepharoplasty of the right upper eyelid can make the two eyelids more even.

The photo is really not a substitute for a proper examination in consultation with someone with adequate training and experience with eyelid surgery.

Seek a Board-Certified specialist in either Ophthalmology or Plastic Surgery who has a well established practice in eyelid surgery (cosmetic and reconstruction).

Denver Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Uneven eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Jessica,

Your upper lid fold do look uneven, so that you see more of the lid platform (where you place eye shadow) on the left.  We did a study at Brown University that showed a high percentage of people carry one brow higher (in this case your left).  This asymmetric brow position can influence the appearance of uneven skin on the upper lids, and is often something missed by many plastic surgeons.  Performing uneven upper lid surgery can lead to trouble afterwards, so you have to make sure it is a true asymmetry of skin.  I would also want to look at your old photos to see if this is new, or you have always had this difference.  Find a doctor who has a great deal of eyelid surgery experience in your community.  There are many good ones in Denver.

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Natural eyelid asymmetry is common

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most of us will have a dominant eye which is slightly larger than the other, and lid asymmetry is also more frequent that people expect. You lids look pleasant and natural, though if you were very motivated the lid fold could be raised slightly on the lower side to even out your look. The technique is like that of Asian blepharoplasty to establish a lid fold. A good plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery should be able to help.

Best of luck,


Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Eyelid asymmetry after trauma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Your photo does show a difference in appearance between the eyelids. Some people have a natural asymmetry and if you have a consultation with an oculoplastic specialist it would be helpful to bring photos taken before the injury to rule out a preexisting difference.

If your previous injury caused a fracture to the bones around the eye (which is not unusual after impact with a baseball), the eye and surrounding fat can sink backward over time, falling into the fracture.  If this is the case, it can often be corrected with a surgery.  In consultation, a specialist can measure the anterior projection of the eyes to see if there is a difference. 

Cosmetic eyelid surgery can also help to match the eyelid appearance if there are no other issues. 

Good luck!

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 63 reviews

Eyelid Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon  familiar with facial fractures are the place to start.  Sometimes, involving another specialty is needed if inner orbital issues are present.  They can direct you to an Opthamologist or you can see an Opthamologist first and then see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Perhaps, the both of them can develop a plan for you.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Unequal eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Please see an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation and management suggestions.  Your findings are very subtle but truly require specialized care.  You can find the name of a qualified surgeon if you Google asoprs.org - ASOPRS is the society which accredits oculoplastic surgeons.




Dr. Massry

Guy Massry, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

Eye looks smaller after trauma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the picture, your right eye appears smaller and following trauma to the eye...it's most important to rule out an orbital floor fracture.  You should see an ENT surgeon or opthalmologist for evaluation and possible Xray or CT to rule this out.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

You have mild ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your pictures show mild ptosis and you eyelids compensation causing the difference. If you get just eye lid surgery without correction of the ptosis,your eyes will look even more uneven. Personal examination would help. I would suggest to see ophthalmologist to start to evaluate your vision and visual fields and then a board certified plastic surgeon to fix to ptosis and also even out your epicanthal folds.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 153 reviews

Eyelid asymmetry after trauma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


An examination would be necessary to fully evaluate your situation.  From your photo, it looks like you would benefit from a blepharoplasty of the right upper eyelid to even out your upper lid skin folds.  I recommend you see an oculoplastic surgeon; you can visit the ASOPRS website to find one near you.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery San Diego

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Not sure this is related to the baseball impact, although it certainly may be. See a board certified plastic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, or several surgeons for opinions before choosing a procedure. Your supra tarsal or orbito-palpebral crease on the right could be elevated slightly to symmetrize more with the left (provided you like the left), and right upper eyelid fat could be removed or repositioned as well, all under local anesthesia in the office.

Steve Laverson, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 50 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.