What Kind of Gynecomastia is This? How to Treat This? (photo)

Hi, I'm a 24 years old, 6"3' tall and 95 kg guy.I have gynecomastia since puberty.I'm dealing with this recently.I know that there are different kinds of gynecomastia but what kind of gynecomastia is mine? Fat or something different? What kind of surgery is suitable for my situation? Thanks.

Types of Gynecomastia

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

• Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
  • Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
  • Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
  • Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
  • Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
  • Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
  • Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia. 
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. 

Gynecomastia

Without an in office consulation is difficult to determine the exact cause of your gynecomastia. Gynecomastia is characterized by enlarged breast tissue and affects an astonishing 40 to 60% of men. Fortunately, the condition is easily reversed with liposuction just by making a small incision under the nipple. I tend to use a type of liposuction that involves ultrasound to liquefy the fat to make its removal easier. Whatever the method used, the surgeon will eventually suck out the fat and glandular tissue from around the areola and from the sides and bottom of the breasts. Because liposuction stimulates the skin to tighten, good elasticity provides a smooth contour after fat is removed. However, with overweight men the process is tougher because they may have sagging skin that needs to be tucked.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Severe Gynecomastia

This type of severe gynecomastia is usually composed of glandulr tissue and partially fatty tissue.

You should consult with an experienced plastic-gynecomastia surgeon to achive best results for your problem.  

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia

Without an exam it is difficult to say whether you have fatty tissue, glandular tissue or a combination of the two.  This will determine the best procedure that would be available to improve your condition.

Gynecomastia is male breast gland overgrowth

What you describe is know as pubertal gynecomastia.  It is due to an imbalance in testoterone and estrogen during puberty.

Your enlarged breasts almost certainly contain over developed male breast tissue.  The bulk of the breast is made up of fat and breast gland.  Both elements are reduced to reduce the male breast.

This reference contains an overview of the subject:

Gynecomastia: incidence, causes and treatment.
Fnu Deepinder, Glenn D Braunstein. Expert Review of Endocrinology & Metabolism. Sept 2011 v6 i5 p723(8).

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

You probably have a combination of Fat and Breast tissue.

Surgery will put the incision as a semicircle on the lower half of the nipple areola to remove the breast tissue , and liposuction to remove excess fat on the breast and chest to get a smooth transition.