What Kind of Breast Lift (With Implants) Carries the Lowest Risk of Nipple Sensation Loss?

I almost certainly need a breast lift with implants after losing about 115lbs, however, I'm TERRIFIED of losing sensation. I rather enjoy having it, if you know what I mean. ;) .... And to me, what is the point of having perfect breasts that do not -work- ? I'm only mildly worried about scarring, that's not the major issue here. So what incision styles (crescent, benelli, anchor, etc) carry the lowest risk of sensation loss? Am I correct in assuming that fewer cuts would be less risky?

Loss of sensation

Loss of sensation in the nipple/areola is fortunately an uncommon occurrence.
In my experience, permanent loss of of sensation may be due to stretching of the sensory nerves by using very large implants causing a stretch injury or pressure on the nerves, extent of dissection which can damage the nerves, and the size of implant. I find that the location of the incision is not usually the reason for loss of sensation.
Choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon is important when considering surgery, as it will lower your chances of complications.

Risks of Breast Lift

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk. Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during you consultation.

I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring. 

Nipple sensitivity risks?

Dear PA,
Thank you for your post. In general, most women who have a disturbance in nipple sensation, whether it be less (hypo-sensation), or in some cases too much (hyper-sensation), the sensation goes back to normal with 3-6 months. Occasionally, it can take 1 - 2 years to be normal. Extremely rare, the sensation never goes back to normal. This is extremely rare in augmentation alone, more common in lift or reduction but less with a smaller lift like a crescent lift. Signs that sensation is coming back are needle type sensation at the nipple, itchiness at the nipple, or 'zingers' to the nipple. The number of women that lose sensation is much lower than 10%, closer to 1% in a simple augmentation. In some cases the same occurs with contraction where some women have no contraction and some women have a constant contraction of the nipples. Unfortunately there is no surgical correction for this. Massaging the area can help sensation normalize faster if it is going to normalize, but will not help if the nerve does not recover. In women with hyper-sensitive nipples, this will go away with time in most cases. Usually 3 months or so. In the interim, I have them wear nipple covers or 'pasties' to protect them from rubbing. It is unlikely that down-sizing the implant will cause regaining sensation. Down-sizing the implant may cause saggy breasts, however, and may necessitate a breast lift. Physical therapy with de-sensitivity techniques can help with this issue.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

What kind of breast lift (with implants) carries the lowest risk of nipple sensation loss?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast procedures such as the breast lift and breast reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts along with raising of the nipple-areolar complex to an appropriate position. Since there is an incision made around the areola along with some rearrangement of tissue of the breast, there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7%. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk.  Certainly the larger the lift/incisions, the greater the risk of change in sensation.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Nipple sensation

All breast lift require some relocation of the nipple areolar complex. All lift cannot be performed on every breast as they each have limitations. Loss of nipple sensation rarely occurs on any lift that is not a accompanied by a significant breast reduction. Therefore I suggest youy get the lift that would provide the best result based on your goals if they are realistic.

Howard N. Robinson, MD (retired)

Breast lift techniques and nipple sensation.

The sensation to the nipple comes from nerve fibers running over the pectoralis then extending upwards into the breast. Anatomy varies from person to person, but in general a lift which preserves the central breast mound is most likely to preserve sensation. However, as with any surgical breast procedure, nipple sensation loss is a possible complication and if this is an unacceptable risk, then avoiding surgery is a better option.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensory loss after breast lifts

I can only say what is in the literature for breast reductions. The one that provides the best sensation and ability to breast feed is considered the inferior pedicle technique,. However a lift often requires less dissection of tissues, so it depends upon a number of factors.

Breast Reduction and Nipple sensation

Your concerns and very valid and relevant, the trouble is that it is very difficult to predict what technique results in the most nipple sensory change.

One thing is for sure it is the glandular pedicle used that governs the likely postoperative nipple sensation and not the skin incisions used. Here is a short abstract of a paper that may help shed some light on your concerns:

Schlenz, et al, Alteration of Nipple and Areola Sensitivity by reduction Mammaplasty: A Prospective Comparison of five techniques, 115(3) PRS Journal March 2005 p. 743- 754.
• Alteration of NAC sensitivity not shown to be related to the weight of reduction but to the type of surgical technique; the anatomical location of glandular resection predicts the risk of post-op reduction of NAC sensitivity. Superior pedicle techniqes, ie resection of inferior pole, were shown to have a higher rate of altered NAC sensitivity.

I hope this helps and good luck

Loss of Nipple Sensation

First of all, not every patient who thinks they need a lift really needs one, so photos would be a big help to answer this question. Also, the type of lift that might work best for you cannot be determined without seeing what your anatomy is. That aside, I tell all my patients the risk of loss of sensation seems to be about the same with either an augment or a lift and that is in the 10% range for some degree of numbness. I also tell them that if the risk is unacceptable, they should avoid the surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Nipple Sensation Loss #breastimplants

Technically speaking the central mound technique would carry the least risk of numbness to the nipples. Being that said, they all are pretty close with the potential for numbness. Most of the time numbness is temporary and will resolve with time. It can take several months. There is commonly tissue swelling around the nerve that can cause this or even stretch on the nerve can lead to temporary numbness. Permanent numbness is rare and would require the surgeon to cut the nerve most likely. It is a valid concern, but for the most part patients do very well with no permanent issues.

Richard J. Brown, MD