Am I getting Botox done correctly?

I get 22 units injected for forehead wrinkles and a eyebrow lift by the same nurse for almost 3 years. She injects it and rubs it afterwards. I was only 2 months out from my injections when my sister commented on how it looked like I needed more. I went to a lady she suggested and this nurse didn't rub and I had the small bumps left which she told me was normal and would go away. It did. Is the nurse I have been going to, not injecting me properly considering I never leave with bumps?

Botox injection technique

Botox is a neuromodulator that works by blocking the activation of the muscle. It works when injected in the proper amount and in the proper area. 22 units for these areas is fairly conservative and the effect may not be noticeable and/or last. Botox does have a less than 1cm diffusion radius, so massage of the injection sites typically is not needed, and could cause inadvertent diffusion which could effect surrounding muscles and give an unwanted effected.

Am I getting Botox done correctly?

Every injector will have their own technique. Personally I don't rub after injecting and I'm not sure why someone would. But if it never hurt your results then I'd tell you whatever was being done was fine for you. "Bee stings" are quite normal after injecting and do go away quickly. "This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Botox

Thanks for your inquiry. I would advise receiving Botox or Dysport injections from a board certified plastic surgeon only. Every injector has their own techniques, mine does not involve massaging post, in fact i would advise against massaging after your treatment. Consult with another professional and possibly get a second opinion. Regards,

Botox and Results

The dosing it what matters for longevity.  Some people need more as you get more injections. I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, DR. Emer.

Botox injections

Hello susieb2sweet, as long as the right number of Units of Botox Cosmetic were injected, the massaging of the injections sites should not affect the longevity (duration of effect) of the product. 22 Units is an appropriate dose and the effect should last an average of 3 months. Best of luck.

Andreas Boker, MD

Botox results

Both ways of injecting Botox are normal. Personally, I preferred superficial injections with no rubbing. While most patients maintain their Botox results for 3-4 months, there are some who get a longer result duration and some that get a shorter duration. Unfortunately, you might be part of the latter group.

Technique for Botox injections

Thank you for sharing your question. Both methods are acceptable and probably make no difference. Small bumps are not unusual and typically resolve within a couple of hours. I hope this helps.  Good luck,

Botox

Thank you for your question susieb2sweet. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. For my patients I massage the area immediately after a treatment. Bumps can be seen at the injection site for 1-2 hours after a treatment. If the injections are deeper in the skin bumps may not necessarily be seen. Most people enjoy the results of their Botox treatment for 3-4 months. But for some people this is less and for others it is more. Please follow up with your nurse for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox bumps

Bumps really does not have bearing on how long the Botox lasts.   Most likely it's the amount of units used.   If the botox works and you like the results, but it's lasting only 2 months, then you might need more units.   Rubbing the bumps is injector's choice and she does not want you to leave her office looking bumpy.

Erik Suh, MD
Bellevue Family Physician

Botox

We usually do not suggest that the "bumps" be touched or rubbed after injection.  These areas tend to dissipate within 30-45 minutes when left alone.  Rubbing these areas may cause the botox to go into muscles in the eye that can cause a heavy and unlisted eyelid.

Jesse E. Smith, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon