More Kids After a Mommy Makeover?

I was told I need a slight lift for my augmentation and the best option is to use a teardrop implant over the muscle but I’ve heard bad things about the teardrop and over the muscle. I was also told I have Abdominal Separation/Diastasis Recti and was considering getting a mini tummy tuck but didn’t want a large scar.

I have three kids and I’m considering of having one more, should I wait until I finish having kids before this procedure? I’m 35 and 145 pounds. What is your opinion? Regards.

Have Mommy Makeover Only After Finished with Pregnancies

Thank you for your question. By all means wait until you are done having children before having a Mommy makeover. A subsequent pregnancy will ruin your results.

A Diastasis Recti Repair requires a Full Abdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck

Pregnancy after a Mommy Makeover.

I would advise you to consider waiting until after you are finished having your children to undergo an abdominal procedure. That being said, it is certainly possible to have the procedure now as it will not affect a future pregnancy. I have had several women who have had Tummy Tucks done with the idea that they were finished having children only a few years later they decided to change their minds. The pregnancies were not affected and in general they looked pretty good after the pregnancy. However, they were not as tight as they were before the pregnancy. Regarding your breasts, I stopped using tear drop implants many years ago as I have had an experience with the implant rotating and having to be re-operated  upon to correct.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

There are sometimes exceptions

Generally, I agree with the other plastic surgeons who have answered this question. Ideally one should wait until they have finished having children with reasonable certainty. Sometimes however it may be many years in the future that one may be planning to have more children,and it may still be worthwhile to have surgery to look good right now. So there are exceptions, and there is no absolute rule.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Best to have mommy makeover when no more children are planned

It depends when you are planning to have your next child. If you are planning in the next 1-2 years, then there is no point in spending tens of thousands of dollars and have the result affected by another pregnancy.

If your next child is planned for 5-10 years from now, then one can argue you will enjoy the benefits of mommy makeover for this time period until the next pregnancy.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Scheduling a Mommy Makeover According to Family Planning

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy and information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.   Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  Therefore, if you experience weight gain, pregnancies, or any other drastic body altering changes, it is very possible the results may be compromised.  Hence, it may be best to delay your procedure(s) involving the areas affected by pregancy, weight gain and nursing until after your final pregancy if at all possible or predictable. Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  
Your surgery should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures you are seeking. Aside from checking #board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Best Breast Implant and Tummy Tuck Before More Children

For your tummy, some women have had their tummy done before they are finished having children. If they did not gain much weight with subsequent pregnancies, their tummy tuck still looked pretty good. Obviously, it would be optimal to wait until you are finished having children before you proceed with a tummy tuck.

For your breast, the new gummy bear textured breast implants are a perfect choice for going above the muscle. They contracture rate is about as low as you can get with a breast implant and you avoid the unnatural look of your breasts contracting or moving when you are working out. These days, Sientra textured gummy bear shaped implants above the muscle, are the way to go.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Children and Mommy Makeovers

Typically, I recommend waiting until you are done having children to have a procedure such as a Mommy Makeover performed. This is due to the expansion of your abdomen during pregnancy. This expansion is usually the reason why some women seek to have a Mommy Makeover performed in the first place. By waiting until you are done growing your family, you will receive the best and most long-lasting results! Please be sure to visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine your goals. 

Jay Burns, MD

Wait

Although I have had three patients get pregnant postoperatively with no problems or redos, I would recommend having your children before final surgery plans. Best of luck. 

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Children After Mommy Makeover

We strongly recommend waiting until you are done having children to undergo a Mommy Makeover. Pregnancy and nursing both cause changes to both abdomen and breasts. A Mommy Makeover is best to do when you are in good health and closest to your ideal weight. However, if that is not possible, it is certainly fine to have children following this procedure with the understanding that pregnancy may cause changes to your results and necessitate another procedure.

Mommy makeover and pregnancy

If you are planning on getting pregnant or you already pregnant, you can rest assured that your stomach can re-stretch to accommodate pregnancy. The only exception might be if you had a complication with your tummy tuck and developed excessive scar tissue.

If you are actively planning on getting pregnant and considering a mommy makeover, it would be more prudent to delay your procedure until after your pregnancy and when your body returns to the post-pregnancy baseline as your body will go through some additional changes with each pregnancy.

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and goals in more detail.