More Kids After a Mommy Makeover?

I was told I need a slight lift for my augmentation and the best option is to use a teardrop implant over the muscle but I’ve heard bad things about the teardrop and over the muscle. I was also told I have Abdominal Separation/Diastasis Recti and was considering getting a mini tummy tuck but didn’t want a large scar.

I have three kids and I’m considering of having one more, should I wait until I finish having kids before this procedure? I’m 35 and 145 pounds. What is your opinion? Regards.

Have Mommy Makeover Only After Finished with Pregnancies

Thank you for your question. By all means wait until you are done having children before having a Mommy makeover. A subsequent pregnancy will ruin your results.

A Diastasis Recti Repair requires a Full Abdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck

Pregnancy after a Mommy Makeover.

I would advise you to consider waiting until after you are finished having your children to undergo an abdominal procedure. That being said, it is certainly possible to have the procedure now as it will not affect a future pregnancy. I have had several women who have had Tummy Tucks done with the idea that they were finished having children only a few years later they decided to change their minds. The pregnancies were not affected and in general they looked pretty good after the pregnancy. However, they were not as tight as they were before the pregnancy. Regarding your breasts, I stopped using tear drop implants many years ago as I have had an experience with the implant rotating and having to be re-operated  upon to correct.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Mommy makeover after you are done having kids

Yes, I think you should wait until you are all done having kids before option for a mommy makeover.  As my colleagues have stated, a future pregnancy could change your body and potentially diminish the results from cosmetic procedures.  Once you are all done with kids - you'll get the maximal benefits from your mommy makeover procedures.

There are sometimes exceptions

Generally, I agree with the other plastic surgeons who have answered this question. Ideally one should wait until they have finished having children with reasonable certainty. Sometimes however it may be many years in the future that one may be planning to have more children,and it may still be worthwhile to have surgery to look good right now. So there are exceptions, and there is no absolute rule.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Children After Mommy Makeover

We strongly recommend waiting until you are done having children to undergo a Mommy Makeover. Pregnancy and nursing both cause changes to both abdomen and breasts. A Mommy Makeover is best to do when you are in good health and closest to your ideal weight. However, if that is not possible, it is certainly fine to have children following this procedure with the understanding that pregnancy may cause changes to your results and necessitate another procedure.

Mommy makeover and pregnancy

If you are planning on getting pregnant or you already pregnant, you can rest assured that your stomach can re-stretch to accommodate pregnancy. The only exception might be if you had a complication with your tummy tuck and developed excessive scar tissue.

If you are actively planning on getting pregnant and considering a mommy makeover, it would be more prudent to delay your procedure until after your pregnancy and when your body returns to the post-pregnancy baseline as your body will go through some additional changes with each pregnancy.

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and goals in more detail.

Wait

You should wait until after your pregnancy before having a mommy makeover because pregnancy can negatively impact you results.

Mommy Makeover Revision

The vast majority of women who undergo mommy makeover surgery are done having children. Rarely, women who have undergone this procedure change their minds about additional pregnancies or accidently become pregnant. Under these circumstances, a mommy makeover has no negative impact upon the pregnancy. Unfortunately, pregnancy has a negative impact upon the patient’s previous mommy makeover. Pregnancy recreates many of the patient’s original problems, including loose saggy skin, weakened abdominal muscles, stretch marks and breast sag.

Because of the significant investment in time, money and effort, I strongly recommend that patients be done having children before proceeding with mommy makeover surgery. Even when women don’t plan on having additional children their life circumstances may change and they may become pregnant. Under these circumstances, revision of the mommy makeover will probably be necessary. 

Mommy Makeovers and more children

I suggest to patients that they wait until after children before mommy makeover surgery. However, some patients have had the unexpected blessing of more children after surgery. These women did just fine with their pregnancies.  In fact, they both look great. However, it is definitely best to wait if you are planning on more children.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Staging a mommy makeover after pregnancy. Los Angeles surgeon

There are many factors involved in a mommy makeover. If you are considering a rectus repair, you may want to stage your surgery with the breast first, and then the abdomen after pregnancy. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS