I had a full face lift Oct 4, 2013 and I have a lot of scarring. What happened to leave my face in this mess? (Photo)

I need as much help as I can get to find out just what I can do for this problem. I would prefer not to have to go back to surgery, if it can be helped. Can someone please tell me if there is any hope for this scarring issue. I paid an enormous amount of money for this face lift and don't feel like I should be left with my face in this mess. Please, someone give me some advice on what can be done. Can someone explain what happened in this operation to leave my face in this mess. Thank you

Thanks for your questions and photos. I'm sorry to see you are having a difficult time.   I suggest you go back to your surgeon and express your concerns. If you have lost trust in your surgeon, it would be advisable to visit with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to go over your options. Good luck!

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Unacceptable result after a facelift.

Without more information I cannot comment on your case specifically. Does your own surgeon agree that the results are unacceptable? If not then you should get a second opinion. If he does then you should be discussing options for resolution.

It is impossible to give an informed opinion without seeing your preop photos or assess you in clinic. Best to see your original PS and talk through the issues you have and how these can be addressed. If you don't get the answers you wish then I would obtain a second opinion.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon performing facelifts for a second opinion

I am sorry your results did not turn out as well as you hoped.  You should see a board certified plastic surgeon performing facelifts for a second opinion, as it is impossible for us to do a proper assessment by looking at your pictures only.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Scarring One Year After Facelift

My suggestions would be to schedule a follow up appointment with your surgeon.  Many factors lend to how each patient will heal, however, at this point, it may be best to have a discussion with your surgeon or his/her clinical team.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scarring After Facelift

I am sorry to see that you are having a difficult time following your facelift procedure.  Scarring of the skin following facelift is often the result of direct trauma to the undersurface (dermis) of the skin or from impaired local circulation. In your photos it appears that you may also have some irregularity of the neck that can be attributed to uneven fat removal.

Fortunately, scars can almost always be improved. Depending on the age and type of scar, vascular lasers, resurfacing lasers, topical silicone gels, steroid injections, and massage are just some of the treatments that might benefit your appearance. Given the proper timing, a revision operation might also prove helpful in experienced hands.

It is always best to go back to your surgeon when possible to discuss your concerns. In the event that your surgeon cannot help you, you should seek several qualified opinions to look for consensus on how to move forward. Best of luck.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift scarring

Facelift scarring not involving your incisions may occur if you had compromise of your skin resulting in skin loss and subsequent healing. Based on the position of your scar, you will have to wait for more skin relaxation/redundancy so that you can tolerate a revision facelift. Meanwhile you can try less invasive measures such as topical silicone gel, laser, IPL to try and smoothen out your scarring.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Scarring Issues 1 year after Facelift

If your plastic surgeon cannot help you, only an in office assessment by an experienced facelift surgeon will provide you with meaningful plan. I recommend to seek one, better two consultations and go from there.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

1 year facelift deformities

Dear LyndsH:

Thanks for sharing your photos. It is too difficult to assess these photos without an onsite consultation. Please visit your surgeon again or obtain a second opinion evaluation from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial ENT who performs a lot of facelifts. 

All the best. 

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

I had a full face lift Oct 4, 2013 and I have a lot of scarring. What happened to leave my face in this mess?

Very very hard to assess your poorly done facial surgery over the internet. Only IN PERSON evaluations can help determine if a surgical solution is available...