Torn - Which one Gastric bypass or Sleeve?

I thought I had my mind made up for gastric bypass. My surgeons office called today to inform me that they had received my final approval for gastric bypass now I am thinking the sleeve may be better for me. I am 5'2" and weighed 253 at my last check up. I have Legg calve perthies disease in my left hip which means I must give up my pain reliever ibuprofen. I don't take it that often it hurts sporadically. I have diabetes and sleep apnea. Please HELP!!

Bypass vs. sleeve

I rarely do a gastric bypass anymore.  Weight loss and resolution of comorbidities is similar enough between the two procedures that the additional risks of gastric bypass (vitamin deficiency, marginal ulcer, internal hernia) just aren't worth it, in my opinion.  Go with the sleeve.

Bloomfield Hills Bariatric Surgeon

Surgery

Hello,I am a board-certified, fellowship-trained bariatric surgeon.Usually with a BMI of 46.3, diabetes, and sleep apnea, the gastric bypass is best because it would cause the greatest weight loss and the best chance of resolving the diabetes, compared to the sleeve gastrectomy and gastric band.  If you have the gastric bypass, you have to be able to switch pain medications for your hip.  After the bypass, you can't take aspirin, Motrin, ibuprofen, Advil, Naproxen, Aleve, or Excedrin, since these can cause ulcers after a gastric bypass.One option to discuss with your doctors - change to a different pain medication for your hip.  If the pain is controlled without ibuprofen or the other medications listed above, then you could have the gastric bypass.  If you definitely need the ibuprofen, then you could consider a sleeve gastrectomy.  You could discuss these things with your surgeon.

Sincerely,

David Henry, M.D.

David Henry, MD
Honolulu Bariatric Surgeon