How long do I have to worry about developing blood clots after surgery?

I know after surgery they said to get up and move every couple of hours so that I don't develop a blood clot but how long do I have to do this?

BLOOD CLOTHS AFTER SURGERY

The highest risk of developing blood cloths in the lower extremities after having a long surgery is within the first week after the surgery, but it can last for 4 to 6 weeks if the patient does not have normal and regular activities during the day, as walking, going up and downstairs, etc. Please check with your surgeon for a more precise advice about your case.

Thank you for your excellent question. I recommend to my patients to always remain active and well-hydrated after surgery in order to minimize the risk of blood clot development.  This should continue until they have returned to their normal level of daily activity which may be a series of days after a breast lift or equivalent surgery of 2-6 weeks for a tummy tuck.  Talk to your surgeon about your concerns and to have recommendations tailored to your case. 

Blood Clots

Most patients are at some increased risk for about 30 days. Early post-op more frequent attention is desired -- especially if you had a tummy-tuck or other larger procedure where you might be more likely to be less active after surgery. Most people rather quickly are "up and around" enough within a week to not need to pay special attention other than to avoid prolonged sitting. This is especially important if travelling - car/train/bus/plane.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD