Labiaplasty - which method would be best for me?

I am strongly considering labiaplasty but I would like to only have my left side done. The right side of my labia minora is thin and does not hang down it is even with my labia majors and the left side is thicker and protrudes. I am wondering which method would be best for me. The longest part of my labia is towards the from from beneath my clitoral hood maybe less than halfway down and the back portion is very short. I was worried about trim because don't want to be left with tab of skin below hood

Labiaplasty

I prefer the trim method because it gets rid of most discoloration and provides wonderful results.  Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon with a great reputation and that specializes in labiaplasty procedures. 

#labiaplasty #plasticsurgery

Hello rp123m, thank you for your excellent question. Without the benefit of knowing your full health history and an in person exam it's impossible to say for certain. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle.   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. Best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty

This is a very common procedure and can easily be combined with a fat transfer to fill the labia majora. I have attached a video explanation of the procedure.

Dr Scott Ennis

Candidates for Labiaplasty

Women have a wide range of normal color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitilia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals, or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. Without seeing pictures of your area of concern it is best to seek out a local certified plastic surgeon for consultation. Take all of your questions to the surgeon and you will be able to learn what procedure will be best reach your desired results. Best of luck!

Linear vs. V-wedge. Which appropriate for YOU?!

Of course, a photo or 3 would be best for us to give you a thorough answer, but why don't you check out the attached blog which talks all about V-Wedge (& modifications) & the (curvi-) linear reduction techniques...
Enjoy!
Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Trim vs. Wedge Methods

Thank you for your question; I believe it is one that many women considering labiaplasty have.  The opinions of experts vary - some almost always prefer the wedge method and others prefer the trim and yet others will do either, depending upon the patient's aesthetic desires.  I would recommend getting more than one opinion (at a consultation in person, so that a good examination can be done) from surgeons with demonstrated experience in these procedures.  Either technique will likely work in the right hands, but there are some important differences.  If you are only going to have one side done, then my gut feeling is that a wedge would be more appropriate, as that will most likely give you the best symmetry after healing, but that depends upon your anatomy and expectations and will require an examination and comprehensive discussion about your aesthetic goals.

Labiaplasty preferred procedure

I would recommend you have a posterior wedge labiaplasty procedure performed. It is the only one that leaves a natural labial edge that could come close to looking like the other side and allow you to have symmetry. A linear excision or trim technique will leave the edges totally different in appearance.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Best Labiaplasty method?

Whether one or both sides are done, the choice of labiaplasty technique is independent and determined by the success and experience of the surgeon. Please read below:Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labiaplasty method

A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery. Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Because every vagina is unique, every patient's needs will be unique as well. In order to determine your specific needs, you would need to be evaluated by a board certified surgeon who specializes in labiaplasty.  Each surgeon will have a surgical method preference and may combine methods as well. Finding a reputable surgeon in your area is the most important factor to consider in moving forward with this procedure. Below is a link to our website that can provide more information regarding the procedure and options for labiaplasty.