Will my vertical scar improve? (Photo)

I'm at po week 5 from a full TT with liposuction of the flanks. I'm concerned about the vertical scar below my belly button. The scar is quite thick and there is a lot of loose skin around it. The loose skin makes the scar appear longer than it is. Will my skin tighten up around the scar and if bot can the scar be removed to make it smaller and thinner?

5 weeks

Your scar should be at its reddest and thickest at this point in your recovery.  Your immature scar should start to improve, but may take a year to reach its final appearance.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Scar Improvement

Thank you for your questions. You are still in a healing phase for both procedure as well as your scarring, and there will still be changes occurring. Now may be a good time to begin a scar therapy. This could be in the form of a gel, cream, or even a silicone sheet. Please visit your surgeon to discuss in detail what may work best for you!

I wish you the best

Dr. Gabbay

Joubin Gabbay, MD

Will my vertical scar improve?

Thank you for your question. A scar can take over a year to fade. Have your surgeon assess the scar for scar treatment. The skin will likely stay as is, that being said you are only 5 weeks post op allow more time to heal. 

Hope this helps, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Scar post TT

Since you are only 5 weeks post op your scar has a ling way to go to mature so I would use some scar creams and massage and just give it some more time.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Scar recovery process

You are still quite early in the scar recovery process.  Given time it will likely improve, if not a revision or laser treatment may help.  

Vertical scar after TT

Thank you for your question. Scar will take a year to mature. Please give time and discuss your concerns with your PS

Will my vertical scar improve?

It can easily take 12 months for scars to fade, flatten and disappear. Depending on your genetics, sometimes  this can even 15 months. I have tried almost everything out there on patients over the past 20 years and in my experience I think that a relatively new product called Scar Recovery Gel is the most effective product in minimizing the appearance of scars. It is available without a prescription but usually only available through a physicians office. I will usually recommend it for all patients and have them begin applying it to a new healing scar within a week of surgery. Consult with your plastic surgeon  regarding specific insrtructions for your particular case. Best wishes, Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

It is very early at this stage

It takes up to one year for scars to get to their finality.  Predictions are just guesses and not worth predicting.  Be patient at this time.

Vasdev Rai, MD

It may take several months for your  scar to reach maturity.  Only at that time can your surgeon access whether scar revision will be needed or not.   What you see now will be significantly different at 6 months.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Vertical abdominal scar

Thank you for the question and photo. You are still early post op. The scar appearance will continue to improve over the next 3-6months 
If you don't see a great improvement by 6 months a scar revision can be done. 
Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS