Is this bulge above my breast normal?

I had BA surgery on sept 13. I got 565 cc saline under muscle. My implants are still high at a week out. My chest looks like a body builders! I'm embarrassed to be seen in public st this point. Please tell me if it is normal to have such a huge bulge above the breast.

Question of Post-Op Bulge after Augmentation

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions.

Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. For patients who have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the surgeon's office and discuss these concerns or schedule a visit to be examined.

Bulge above breast post Breast Augmentation

At this point in your recovery, it is still very early for your implants to have dropped any yet.  Please don't worry- your breasts will probably be high, tight and appear shiny for a while. This is normal and they will probably heal at different rates also. Reach out to your plastic surgeon whenever you have questions.

Best of luck in your continued recovery. 

Fred Hackney, MD

After breast augmentation

Hi and congratulations for your BA surgery. You have to be patient, implants will settle in the next weeks, any concern talk to your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Implants

It sounds like your implants are very high. They can take several months to relax and settle into the pocket.

Is a bulge above my breast normal.

Early on after breast augmentation, especially with a large implant, the skin envelope will need time to relax. This is a process we refer to as "dropping" as the skin relaxes below the breast and the implant works into position. Your recovery will take time and the upper bulge is likely to go away as you continue to heal and adjust.

Is this bulge above my breast normal

You are still extremely early into your recovery process and it is going to take several weeks for your breasts to drop. You will continue to see some gradual changes throughout a year. Make sure to keep all of your follow up appointments with your surgeon. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still very early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets causing there to be more fullness at the bottom.  If the breasts are too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. I would continue to wear your surgical bra, ice your breasts on and off and perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants one week out

At this stage, you are still early in the healing process.  The final result for a breast augmentation or Lift is never really judged until several months from the procedure.  Typically, I will wait 6 months before I assess the results.  Of course, it can be difficult to be patient while awaiting a result for such a long time, especially when you are excited.  But, keep in mind that living human tissues are different than sculpting with plastic or sewing with cloth.  Those substances are fixed and don't change much with time.  Human tissues, on the other hand, stretch, spread, settle, and change as they go through the different stages of healing.  This process takes time and as it proceeds, your result will change until the healing is complete.
This is why plastic surgeons will always advise patience for the first few months after these procedures.  In the meantime, keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon and he/she can assure you that things are proceeding in the right direction.
I hope this info helps!
Best of Luck, 
Dr. Subbio
Philadelphia/Newtown Square
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

1 Week after Breast Augmentation

What you are experiencing is totally normal and expected. If you have the implant placed under the muscle, the muscle pushes it way up (almost to you collar bone) and a little outward. It takes at least a month to settle back down into the pocket. Saline usually goes up higher than silicone and takes the full month to settle down. You also feel like a body building because the muscle pushes the implant down in the front so that your breasts tend to look like pectoralis muscles at first. The larger the implant, the longer this process takes. Hang in there - it will look great soon and changes will continue to happen and give you a more natural look even up to 3-6 months. Best wishes! check us out on snapchat @drgrawe for more info and to watch live procedures.

Drop & Fluff

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. In short- yes, it is normal to have implants it high and firm for weeks and months after surgery. Depending on your tissues, the size of the implant and placement, the drop and fluff process can take between 2-6 months. Typically when pectoral muscles are swollen they take on a squared look creating the boxy, top-heavy look to your chest that you are noting. Much of that should resolve within the first few weeks but since you have large implants, you can expect it to take at least a few months for your tissues to slowly expand and soften, allowing the implants to drop. I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon about what to expect as you heal.

All the best