Are my breasts tuberous? How much would a breast augmentation cost to correct them if so? (Photo)

Correction of Tuberous Breasts

Based on your photo, it appears as though you have slightly constricted breasts with a higher inframammary fold (or bra line crease). This can be corrected through breast augmentation surgery using differential breast implants to create an equal volume, and by lowering the bra crease and minimizing puffiness around the nipple. As for the cost of breast augmentation surgery, it can depend on a number of factors (type of implant, sizing, etc.). The best way to decide what options are best suited for you is to schedule a consultation with a highly qualified, board certified plastic surgeon, so that he/she can better assess your situation in person.

Tubular breast correction

It’s difficult to see if you have tuberous breasts in your photo, but either way the shape of your breasts can be made rounder and fuller with breast augmentation. If you do have tubular breasts, the tissues that are constricted around your areola can be released during the procedure. Implants would help further enhance the shape of your breasts and make them larger. Tubular breast correction and breast augmentation varies in price. Pricing is determined by the surgeon and can vary from $10,500 and up. 

Breast augmentation/tuberous breasts

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a physical examination of your breasts performed and at that point the surgeon will give you their recommendations. You most likely need some of the tension released in your lower pole which is causing the flatness and tuberous appearance in that area then have an implant placed to increase the size of your breasts. At my practice, I use high profile Sientra implants to create a round full result that looks natural. Additionally, we use Crisalix which is a virtual reality device that will allow you to view different sizes of implants and pick which best suits your desires.  As the only board certified plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh offering this virtual reality imaging system, we have a 100% satisfaction rate.  Crisalix  is truly a unique experience for our patients as they can view themselves using virtual reality goggles and can instantly visualize their own breasts changing in size and shape with all of the various brands, sizes and shapes of breast implants.  Thus, our patients leave the consultation feeling confident with the size of the implant they chose. 
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

I agree that you certainly do have tuberous breasts with a high crease and a tightly constricted lower pole. This will require a more complex breast augmentation to release the lower pole and the tight crease. An additional incision around the areola is sometimes needed to address puffiness of the areola. Costs vary too much to specify without seeing a surgeon in person in consultation 

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

From your photos, you appear to have characteristics of tuberous/constricted breasts.

Constricted or tubular breasts tend to be too narrow with a breast crease that is too high. Tight ring-like bands of tissue around the areolae and nipples may create the appearance of protruding or puffy areolae. A higher than normal breast crease may make your nipples appear to be too low or down pointing. Constricted breast features can be very mild or severe. In fact, mild variations are relatively common. To summarize, the features can include:

•          Inframammary fold (breast crease) too high
  •          Inframammary fold misshapen
  •          Breasts too narrow (disproportionately narrow base width)
  •          Insufficient breast skin
  •          Constricted or tubular shape, resulting from tight bands of tissue within breasts
  •          Protruding or bulging appearance of areolae (pigmented area around nipples)

Improvement is possible and generally includes a breast augmentation, sometimes combined with a lift (mastopexy). The lift is usually limited to an incision around the areolae. During the procedure, I release the tight, constricting bands from the inside, allowing the skin to expand properly. I also lower the inframammary fold to a more ideal position and improve its shape. Breast implants help create the right amount of volume and improve breast contours, resulting in a more rounded or tear drop shape.

Cost varies by geographic location, surgeon expertise, OR time, anesthesia, length of procedure etc.  I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery and who is also a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgery.  You can call their offices in advance and ask for quotes prior to scheduling consultations.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Tubular breast correction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, i can identify that you have a underveloped and mild tubular Breast. 
I recommend you perform a Tubular Breasts Correction with Breast Augmentation using silicon implants, at the same surgical time.

There is a surgical technique for Tuberous Breasts correction, by which it is arranged the tuberous areolar ring from inside, without requiring areolar reduction. In this technique we also need silicon implants, to get a better Breast volume and projection.

Therefore it is very important that the plastic surgeon who will perform the surgery, has the skills and vast experience in this type of procedure.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Surgical Correction for Tuberous Breasts

And then there’s a third category, which are #DevelopmentalBreastProblems.  I see young women that come to the office, and the two breasts are very asymmetric. One breast is lower than the other. There may be differences in size. Or there are certain conditions: one’s called tuberous breast deformity, where the breast has a more unusual shape. It may be very narrow at the base on the chest. The whole breast can be very narrow. There are different variations of it. But basically, that’s a growth and development problem that creates a lot of angst for a young woman.  #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume.  One side can be tightened more or less than another.

Costs will depend on several factors: the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees.  Different implants may have different costs. Approximate costs can be found on the Real Self website,, or

Breast evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question.  You appear to have some elements of lower pole constriction.  You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation with dual plane implant placement and scoring of the lower pole constriction bands.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast augmentation

You appear to have a tight lower pole .  The implant can help increase your volume and give you a much nicer appearance. I prefer silicone gel implants Allergan Inspira smooth round under the muscle.  Doin two breast augmentations today and one looks similar to you.  Go to a board certified plastic surgeon.  You should do very well .  Good luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Are my Breasts Tuberous?

Thank you for your question. You do appear to have tight or slightly constricted lower breast poles. This could be addressed during a standard breast augmentation. I recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your goals and your options.

All the best