I Am Interested in Having a Thigh Lift Procedure? (photo)

I am interested in the thigh lift procedure. I have recieved a quote from a plastic surgeon that I have used before. I feel his quote is a bit high. What is you opinion on having this procedure out of the US?

Cosmetic Surgery Outside the U.S.

• If you trust your plastic surgeon and you are happy with the results from your prior procedure(s), I would give stong consideration to undergoing the thigh lift with him. 
  • However, you may always get second opinions from other plastic surgeons, and you may find a price that is more affordable, either here in the U.S. or abroad. 
  • I would caution you to make sure that whomever you ultimately choose to perform your operation has a good reputation and has experience with the operation.   
  • Also, with thigh lifts, drains are almost always left in place to prevent seromas, so it is important that you remain in the vicinity of whereever the operation is performed so that your surgeon may manage these drains, and address any possible complications that might arise. 
  • Best of luck to you!

Fees and surgery

If you have a relationship of success with a plastic surgeon then stick with him.  You give no information whatsoever about his fees so any statement is impossible.  I will say this......avoid bottom basement places.  Things that are too cheap to be true lead to disappointment.  Surgery can be made cheap in two way.  These are to CUT SAFETY or to CUT QUALITY.  I have seen many examples of both and in my medical and legal practice and  I can guarantee you CUTTING leads to DISASTER.   Shop quality and safety.  Thigh lifts are a very complicated procedure and a surgeon must be doing many to do it well.  Please SHOP QUALITY and SHOP SAFETY.   Bottom feeders end up with many unnecessary secondary corrective procedures and the cost can be astronomical.  Even your life can be at stake.  My Best,  Dr C

Thighlift Abroad

Thank you for your question.  Thigh lift procedures are somewhat challenging and prone to healing problems. Potential complications include unfavorable scarring, scar migration and labial distortion.  For these reasons, some plastic surgeons would prefer not to do them.  Consider shopping around for someone else in your area that is experienced with this procedure.  There are hidden costs associated with surgery abroad that you should consider including travel, lodging, surgery, and most importantly postop care.  If you come back home with a wound problem, you will be charged for postop care.  It is also almost impossible for you to verify the standards by which the facility is run.  There are qualified surgeons abroad, but proper selection is much more difficult to verify.  Best wishes.

I Am Interested in Having a Thigh Lift Procedure?

Safety and final result should be the priorities, but financial considerations are always issues.  I would try to find a more appropriate quote for yourself in the US.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures and thigh lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Inner thigh lift risky proposition

Most US plastic surgeons would advise going out of the US for any plastic surgical procedure.  The main problem is lack of follow up and lack of care if you develop a complication.  You may want to get other opinions before you decide for this risky option.  

Medical Tourism

It's not unusual for massive weight loss patients to develop excess saggy skin. This problem can affect almost any area of the body, including the thighs. When this situation arises, the majority of patients will require thigh lift surgery.

Although cost is an important consideration, it's not the only consideration. It's important to choose a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. It's also important to consider the surgeon's training certification, reputation and experience. When these factors are considered, complication rates are lower and clinical results are better.

When travelling to foreign countries for surgery, it's virtually impossible to assess these variables. Physicians in many countries are not as strictly regulated as in the United States. For this reason, there are more issues with quality assurance when patients utilize this option. Furthermore, complications can occur following cosmetic surgery. If this happens following a return to the United States, it may be difficult to find someone to assume your care. In many ways, medical tourism is like gambling with your health.

Thigh lift cost

It's about $7500 to $12000 in Toronto. You can get financing to help cover the cost. Monthly payments can be just a couple hundred of dollars.

I do not recommend having the procedure performed anywhere far from your home. You need to be close to your surgeon if a complication or problem arises. The person best suited to addressing complications is the surgeon who performed your procedure.

Ronald Levine, MD

Thigh lift, Toronto Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Adibfar

Hello;

The area of skin laxity that you are concerned about on the top half of your inner thigh may respond well to a short scar medial thigh lift.

If you desire a more global improvement of your thighs in the front ,sides and back then the above procedure has to be combined with a circumferential body lift.

It is important for you to know that these procedures are quite extensive , therefore costly and prone to minor and major complications.  It is therefore important for you to get treated by a plastic surgeon who is an expert at extensive body contouring and body lift and comfortable preventing or minimizing the chances of these complications as well as able to treat any should they occur.

Thank you

Thigh lift outside the US

Thank you for asking about doing a thigh lift outside the USA.

1. Please don't. Ask your surgeon is your quote is his best possible price.
  2. Thigh lifts have a 10% risk of infection and poor healing.
  3. This is why thigh lifts are expensive - post op care takes time.
  4. These infections takes 6 weeks to heal.
  5. Travel increases your risk of infection and blood clots after a thigh lift. Unless you have relatives abroad to stay with for 2-3 weeks after surgery, stay here. 

Medical tourism

Hello

I would advise against medial tourism as you will have no post operative followup and this can be an issue especially if you develop any complications.

Regards

Stephen Salerno