I am 55 years old and have 38g breasts. Am I too old for a breast reduction?

Thank you for the question.You are absolutely not “too old” for the breast reduction procedure  assuming you are “cleared" for the procedure by your medical doctor.  Hopefully, your only regret after the procedure, will be that you wish you had done it sooner in life.  Breast reduction is one of the most patient pleasing operations we do.
Please make sure you select your plastic surgeon carefully. Communicate your goals carefully as well.  You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Too old for having a breast reduction?

Thank you for your question. You are not too old for having any plastic surgery procedure, not only a breast reduction As long as your health allows you to do it and you are well studied before surgery. I recommend you going for consultation with a certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Rafael Lluberes Freites, MD

Too old?

You are not too old for a breast reduction.  I see many patients your age and older who are tired of carrying around the extra breast weight.  As long as you are healthy without any major heart or lung conditions you should be a good candidate.  I recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon who will review your health history and describe the procedure and recovery.  Best wishes!

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

No, you are not too old for a breast reduction.  There is not really an absolute "too old" for anything we do in plastic surgery, it's just a matter of health status and the ability to undergo the operation safely.  I recommend you consult with a plastic surgeon who will discuss your options.  Breast reduction has one of the highest levels of patient satisfaction in plastic surgery because it usually takes away discomfort and gives women a breast shape they love, and my guess is that the only "complaint" you'll have afterward is that you didn't get it done sooner.  Best of luck!

-Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Scarless breast reduction

You are not at all to old as long as you are in good general health. At that age a significant portion of the breast tissue has converted to fat. This makes it an ideal situation for the liposuction only procedure. Quick, simple, if you are risks and complications, rapid recuperation and less expensive. Find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in this particular variation of the operation and look into it. Good luck. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

I am 55 years old. Am I too old for a breast reduction?

Thank you for your question.  Age is not a limiting factor as much as general health.  If a person is healthy and meets the criteria for reduction, then they may be a candidate for surgery.  In my practice I have performed breast reductions on active patients in their 70's.  I would recommend starting with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Be sure to see plenty of before and after photos to get an idea of the range of patient experience of your surgeon. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon