Will I be a good candidate for lift w/ augmentation? (photos)

I am going in for a consult Aug 14 w/ the third doctor to assess me. The 1st said he'd do staggered donut lift followed by Aug w/ 400cc at a later date; the 2nd doctor advised he would do an lollipop lift & aug of 380cc at same time; I'm excited to see what the 3rd doctor says. I have posted a few photos of what I'd like my results to mimic. Do you think I'd be a good candidate to achieve these results in a single procedure? My consult will be w/Dr. Shahram Salemy out of Seattle. Thank you!

Will I be a good candidate for lift w/ augmentation?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast…

Breast lift with implants

Thank you for your question and photos.  It appears that you would be a good candidate for a breast lift with implants.  Be sure you choose a surgeon that is board certified in plastic surgery and is an expert in the breast lift procedure.  I would recommend a breast lift that leaves a vertical scar to get the maximum benefit from surgery.

Miami, FL

Maximizing your breast lift with augmentation results in a single procedure

Thanks for your question. From your pictures, it looks like you would be a good candidate for a single-stage procedure of a breast lift with implants. At your next consultation, I'd recommend that you ask the doctor about the I.D.E.A.L. Breast Lift procedure. This is a single stage procedure for enlargement and lift. Good luck to you.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Will I be a good candidate for breast lift with implants?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photographs you will need a breast lift with a vertical component such as a  Lollipop lift.

One concern that you should discuss with you surgeon is the fact that breast lift with implants causes the areola to be larger.  Discussed how your surgeon will address this since your desired photographs show a smaller area with an you now have.

If this is a significant concern doing a two-stage procedure may be a better option.  If the areola expands following your lift an areola reduction can be done at the time of breast augmentation.

For more information on combined breast lift with implants please read the following link:

Based on your photos you can get a very nice result with a vertical (lollipop) lift and submuscular augmentation at the same time. I would discourage the donut lift, would leave you with sagging breast tissue in the lower poles and widened scars around the areolae most likely. An augmentation lift is a plus/minus operation and is customized to each patient. The breast has a foot print and the only way to change this (give you more superior pole fullness) is with the addition of an implant. The sagging breast tissue needs to be removed and this is done once the implant is in place, to know how much tissue to be removed. If these operations are done separately (and sometimes that is the best approach), then it is a 100% re-operation rate. If they are done together, there's a 28% risk of further adjustments surgically. It is not a perfect operation due to the patient's skin elasticity/stretchiness, size of implant chosen, technical ability of the surgeon, etc. Good luck with your consultations.

Will I be a good candidate for lift w/ augmentation

I would tend to agree wit the second opinion you have. I think a lollipop lift will yield a better resutl than a peri-areolar 'lift' and implants.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast lift with implants

Thank you for your question.  We often combine these procedures in our practice and based on your submitted photos you appear to be an excellent candidate for a breast lift with augmentation to achieve beautiful overall results.  Discuss your concerns, address your overall desired goals and work together to create a surgical plan that best helps you achieve them.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

Yes, you are a very good candidate for a lift and augmentation. As long as you aren't planning on dramatic enlargement, it is safe to do the vertical lollipop lift and augment at the same time. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

You definitely need a lift in order to get good results from breast augmentation. The difference of opinion among surgeons comes down to: 1) what type of lift...circumareolar (also called periareolar or donut or Benelli), lollipop (also called vertical), or anchor (also called Wise pattern or Inverted-T), and 2) timing...can or should it be done at the same time as the implants. You will get different opinions from different plastic surgeons, and unfortunately this is confusing to patients. First of all, many plastic surgeons were initially excited about periareolar lifts as a way of avoiding the vertical scar, but over time we realized that the more lift patients needed, the worse the results...it is a weak lift, it does not shape the breast well (it can result in a flattening behind the areola where you need more projection), and the scars around the areola are oftentimes MUCH more noticeable (wider, irregular, even starburst in character) than the areolar scar resulting from the Wise pattern or anchor lift. This is because this lift works by cinching down with a pursestring suture a bigger circle around the smaller areola, so there is a gathering effect that adversely affects the resulting scar. I do periareolar lifts, but only in patients who need a mild lift and mild nipple elevation. Your degree of breast overhang indicates that you need a better and stronger lift, and I think you would find that a periareolar or donut lift would leave you with unsatisfactory scars.

As to one versus two stages, there is a great difference of opinion. These two operations, implant augmentation and breast lift, work against each other, one being an expanding operation and the other being a tightening operation. From your "goal" photos, you apparently desire a large implant, but the lift you will require to bring your nipples up sufficiently and to reduce the overhang sufficiently (so that your breasts do not hang lossely off of your implants) may overly tighten your breasts so that a large implant placed at the same time may put increased tension on your incisions, may lead to disruption of your incisions, skin loss, or at best wider scars. Doing breast augmentation (particularly with a large implant) at the same time as a full breast lift is associated with a higher risk of complications that can lead to further surgeries trying to fix these problems.

My recommendation, although this of course is without examining you in person and making careful measurements, would be to have the best anchor breast lift to make you into a good candidate for breast augmentation, get it to heal with the best scars, and at least 3 months later undergo breast augmentation.

Simultaneous Breast lift and Implants

Hi,

Breast lift with implants is an excellent way to achieve fullness and restore a more youthful appearance.  You are an excellent candidate  for this procedure.  This can safely done with one surgery.  I like a  lift with a lollipop incision because it creates a more conical shape and does not flatten the breast which we sometimes see with donut lifts.  The vertical incision heals nicely and in my opinion is less objectionable than the puckering aroung the nipple we frequently see with a donut lift.  Good luck with the 3rd consultation and with the surgery.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon