Would insurance cover a breast lift?

My breasts have always been heavy and saggy, but after weight loss, they have gotten worse. I suffer from rashes and boils under my breast continuously and have been to my doctor several times in the past year for it. I heard that insurance usually does not cover lifts, they only cover reductions, so I'm somewhat concerned. I don't believe I need a reduction as I'm only a C cup, they are just heavy and saggy. What do you recommend I do? Thank you very much.

Will insurance cover a breast lift

Thank you for your question about your breast lift.

• I have not heard of any insurance covering a breast lift.-
  • Because of the requirements that they cover so much preventive care, insurers now do not cover most breast reductions.
  • however to be sure, first call your insurer to see if this is excluded under your policy.
  • If it is - they will never pay for your surgery.
  • If it is not excluded and the insurance representative thinks it might be covered, see a plastic surgeon and have her/him submit an insurance pre-determination report with a description of your problem and a photo.
  • You never can be 100% sure until you check.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Breast Lift - Insurance Coverage

Hi insurance companies do not cover breast lifts as they are considered cosmetic. It does sound like you have some symptoms related to your weight loss and may consider consulting a plastic surgeon to get their opinion on whether a reduction may help or you just need a lift. 

#BreastLift #PlasticSurgery #InsuranceCoverage

Insurance question

Insurance companies consider the breast lift procedure to be cosmetic, and therefore not medically necessary.  There are certain criteria that need to be met for insurance companies to cover a reduction, which includes a lift.  I recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss options appropriate or you.

Camille Cash, MD

Insurance and breast lift surgery

A breast lift and a breast reduction are similar procedures.  From an insurance perspective, however, a breast lift is a cosmetic procedure and a breast reduction is a functional procedure.  Things that insurance companies look at when they determine coverage are 1. the amount of tissue that is removed - in your case, there really would be no significant amount of tissue removed, and 2. functional problems resulting from your breasts.  You named a couple of issues, such as rashes and boils.  While those are certainly issues, I doubt that they would be enough to convince an insurance company to cover your procedure.  My best suggestion would be to schedule an appointment with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you in person and review your options with you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Can a breast lift be covered by insurance?

A breast lift (mastopexy) is not a procedure that insurance covers unless it is to help improve symmetry with a breast that has had reconstruction for breast cancer. My advice would be to consult a board certified plastic surgeon who will evaluate your condition and discuss appropriate recommendations with you.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Would insurance cover a breast lift?

A breast lift (a.k.a. mastopexy), is considered a cosmetic procedure and would not be covered by insurance. I recommend making an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to gain more information on the procedure that is best. 

Breast lift

A breast lift will not be covered by insurance unless a significant reduction is done at the same time.  Only then if it meets the volume the insurance company requires will it be possibly covered.   A breast lift is considered a purely cosmetic procedure.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Breast Lift never covered by insurance

in my 24 years experience in practice, a breast lift is never covered by insurance.  Only breast reductions might be covered but the amount of breast tissue that must be removed is significant.  There is no confusion a breast lift with a breast reduction.

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Insurance for lift?

Thanks for your question.  In my jurisdiction a lift is not medically insured service but you could check with a local surgeon.

Insurance? not likely

Hi Jenmaree, Congratulations on your weight-loss. As you found out, the aesthetics of the breast usually suffer and you may still have symptoms. Insurance companies are unlikely to cover a lift. Just bite the bullet and have the lift surgery it may prove to be the best money you have ever spend on yourself. You'll enjoy this gift to yourself for many years to come. There are some excellent plastic surgeons not far from you. Make that consultation and treat yourself. Max Gouverne.

Max Gouverne, MD
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon