Is Smart Lipo possible for me? 5'5, 173lbs. Lower belly was always there even before pregnancy, even when I was 130lbs. (photo)

I have two children. I exercise 4-5 times a week and still cannot get rid of my belly fat. I also have hypothyroidism. I am looking for something with less or no down time( so I can get back to work within couple of days) Also, I tried the diatasis test and I don't have the gap. I know the best option would be tummytuck but I was wondering if smartlipo would be possible

Lipo vs TT

If you are looking for something with low to no down time then a tummy tuck would not be your first option as the healing can take several weeks/months.  From your pictures it appears you could benefit from some HIDEF liposculpture to help removed the unwanted fat and contour the body to an aesthetic end point.  Speak with a  liposculpture specialist.  Body contouring has evolved and you want to make sure you are getting the best treatment possible if you decide to go the liposculpture route!

Houston Physician

Lipo vs TT

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Houston Physician

Lipo vs Tummy Tuck

It sounds like for you, the decision between a tummy tuck and lipo lies in what you want out of either procedure. If you wanted the best aesthetic outcome, I'd suggest a tummy tuck to address issues with loose skin and abdominal wall laxity. However, I usually recommend that patients be as close to their goal weight beforehand. This is because a component of visceral fat contributes to one's abdominal girth. 

If you recognize and accept the limitations of liposuction, then it would not be unreasonable to pursue it. It has the benefit of being minimally invasive, and in a select patient population, gives good results with regards to body contouring. 

In the end, no bridges are burned by getting lipo and then deciding to do a tummy tuck after, should that be the route you choose later. Best of luck!

Lipo vs Tummy Tuck

Smart lipo or tumescent lipo

You can get a great result with a well performed full torso tumescent liposuction adding Smart Lipo to the abdominal skin to increase tightening. What you need is a surgeon that routinely performs high volume liposuction that has the skills and experience to get the result you want. If in you exam there is abdominal muscle laxity that would need a tummy tuck to fix that. Anyway your hourglass shape with a good lipo would be very appealing. Good luck

Smart lipo or tumescent lipo

Good skin. Accessible fat.

The photos indicate that you do have accessible fat especially in the lower abdomen that can be removed. Additionally your skin looks to be of the type which will retract well. So as long as your expectations are realistic, meaning improvement rather than perfection, you seem to be a good candidate. 

Good skin. Accessible fat.

SmartLipo, Tummy Tuck, Mini Tuck

I have treated a lot of patients like yourself with Liposuction/ SmartLipo.  It really depends on your goals and expectations.

In your case, a tummy tuck with lipo would give you the best results.  But it has the downside of longer recovery, more cost, large scar, etc.

Liposuction will give you a flatter abdomen and make you more shapely, especially in clothes.  Out of clothes, or in swimsuit, you will probably have some loose skin/ skin folds.  

If you can live with the loose skin, then I think you will be happy with the liposuction.  Also, down the road you can always get a tummy tuck.  In some cases, it can even be a mini-tuck since you do not have a Diastasis.  This is more like a c-section scar.

Good luck to you,

Dr. Powell

SmartLipo, Tummy Tuck, Mini Tuck

Good luck to you,

Dr. Powell

Smartlipo expectations

Thanks for your question. Tummy tuck would really be your best choice. But, it does have a lot more involved in terms of costs, downtime, risks, etc. Smartlipo could thin out your waistline, allowing for a smaller pant/dress size. But, you will have excess skin which may bother you. A tummy tuck could always be considered down the road. Best wishes.

Smartlipo expectations