Should I remove my implants? (photos)

I'm on my way to my 3rd surgery my doctor says I need to remove I had to other surgeon's say it's not a good idea to remove. He had to do a 2 nd surgery to fix my double bubble and I had a lot of animation on my breast. Also my doctor says I was capsuled. So he decided to go in front of the muscle ( subglandular) and I did. As a result of all that I have very little tissue left and my implant feels and looks very exposed.. what should I do??

Options

You may do best with your implants in front of the muscle. Fat grating might also be an option if you have donor fat. Otherwise, dermal grafts like Alloderm could be helpful.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Should I Remove My Implants?

So sorry to hear of your complications.  You are one of the rare ones.  Based on the implant history you shared, you could either have the implants removed or have reconstructive surgery using an AMD such as strattice.  Consult with a highly experienced board certified plastic surgeon for an in person exam to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Should I remove implants?

Your situation is complex. Sounds like you had animation deformity and a double bubble after your first surgery, so it was reasonable for your surgeon to convert the implant to the subglandular position. However it now appears that your implant is palpable and visible (knuckling) because of thin tissue. In cases such as yours there are things that can be done to improve the result, such as more highly cohesive implants, insertion of ADM grafts, etc. However, you need to have consultation with a surgeon experienced in correcting implant related problems to come up with the best solution for your particular situation. Wishing you good luck.

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Should I remove my implants?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your implant related issues.  As your choices of treatment range dramatically - implant removal to many revision options of implant exchange, increase in tissue coverage, synthetic tissue usage, etc - it would be best to seek a series of opinions to assess your desired goals and the best treatment option tailored to them.  Be sure to see ASPS board certified plastic surgeons in consultation for the best recommendations. 

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your multiple events. Placing the implant above the muscle will certainly address the animation deformity but it will make the implant more visible especially in thinner patients. I'm not sure that you need to have your implants replaced as I believe a better idea at this point may be to simply add fat to your breasts to increase coverage and decrease some of the visible and palpable irregularities that you are concerned with. Although you may be thin, fat can be available (as is represented very effectively in my patient video on this exact problem noted in the link attached to this answer). Please consider this as an alternative and discuss it with your plastic surgeon. Far transfer is an amazing concept and opportunity to take breast augmentation to a new level that was previously not even possible. Fat is safe, natural, yours and has the potential to last a lifetime. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon