I am 40 yrs old, 150lbs, 5'7, wear 38a size bra. I have a wide chest. Which profile do your recommend? (photos)

Hi, I am 40, 150lbs, 5'7, wear 38a size bra. My chest is wide. I am considering a 350-400cc implants, but I am not sure about the profile. I would like to have some upper pole fullness, and I am afraid that agumentation will make me look more chubby. So I thought HP profile would be perfect for me. Would it suit my wide chest or should I go for moderate profile instead?

Which implant profile is best?

The best choice of implant profile is based on the size you wish to be, the base width of your breasts, the distance from the sternal notch (at the base of your neck) to each nipple, the distance from the collar bone to the nipple and the distance from the inframammary fold (crease under the breasts) to the nipple and which implant will best fit these parameters.  Ie. a higher profile implant in a wide chest or wide sternum ("breast bone" will likely result in a wider gap between the implants and less upper pole fullness than a more moderate profile.  The final decision should be made in conjunction with your surgeon.

Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Profile

Profile is important and should be discussed at an in person consultation with your board certified plastic surgeon.

All the Best.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hi profile or moderate

I think 350 to 400 would be great for your body size and I rarely use hi profile.I think moderate profile implants give a more natural result and my patients love them.I see few indications for hi profile but in the end it is a choice between the doctor and the patinet.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

How to decide on profiles when choosing implants?

In my practice, my patients are allowed to choose the volume and then I select the profile based on their dimensions and goals.  If you are okay with considerable space between the mounds, then you can consider the higher profile implants.  Otherwise my focus is to diminish the space between the mounds to a reasonable size and still maintain breast fullness.  And to accomplish this, I choose the profile and bear the responsibility if it produces an undesired result.

Curtis Wong, MD

What profile implant best for a wide chest

Although knowing your chest is wide is important for implant selection, the greater limiting factor is the base width of your own breast tissue. That is what should be used to decide on the implant and then the volume can be altered by using a different profile if desired

Julio Garcia, MD

Which implant profile?

Thanks for the picture.  It depends on your breast measurements.  I would assume that you would most likely benefit from a moderate plus implant versus a high profile implant.

Implant selection

I use HP implants in patients that want a lot of volume but are very narrow. Without an exam in person it is very difficult to say.

I am 40 yrs old, 150lbs, 5'7, wear 38a size bra. I have a wide chest. Which profile do your recommend?

With your basic proportions, asd the amount of natural breast tissue you have, I would generally recommend the silicone implant in the moderate or medium profile. Properly sized, it will not make you look chubby and will fit the width of your chest better than the moroe narrow high profile device. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

I have a wide chest

HI
First, why do you think you have a wide chest? Was it measured? Have you considered gummy bear cohesive gel anatomic implants? Not every surgeon is comfortable/experienced with using them.  If you have a wide chest, you want a wide implant in order to assure cleavage. For a given volume, a lower projection has a wider dimension. Sorry if it sounds confusing. 
Re your fear of looking "chubby"- know that a wider upper chest makes the hips look more slim.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Which breast implant style would you recommend?

There are a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and profiles for breast implants.  Part of every discussion I have with my breast augmentation patients focuses on choosing the correct implant.  This choice is dependent on 2 factors: your goals/expectations and your breast measurements.  I typically start with a discussion of expectations--approximate goal cup size & shape/look of the breast.  This in conjunction with 3D imaging will help choose a size range and shape of implant (anatomic for a more natural augmentation, round for a more augmented look with more upper pole fullness).  I then take the measurements of the breast & the base width is an important measurement when considering the implant profile & brand.  Depending on the approximate implant volume size & base width the profile of implant is then chosen.  Typically a lower profile implant will be wider with less projection. In contrast, a high profile implant (for the same volume) will be narrower with more projection. So, in summary it's more important that you schedule consultations with board certified plastic surgeons that are experienced in breast surgery and that will take the time to discuss sizing & implant selection with you before hand.  An in person examination & sizing is the only way to get a recommendation for a specific style of implant. Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon