Am I a candidate for a facelift at 34 yrs old? (Photo)

I am 34 years old, yes I have tried to look after my skin and been told that I am a young 34 , however , I was under a great deal of stress ongoing for two years and it was like I woke up one morning and all the problems were there.. I am considering a facelift to restore my youthfulness as I feel the stressful time I had robbed me of it. If not a facelift what other options are there to help pull the skin taught again?

Facelift

There is no set age to have a facelift. If you area not ready for surgery or if you are not a candidate for surgery, you can consider injectable fillers. Have your face evaluated by a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a facelift at 34 yrs old?

Hello! Thank you for your question! I hope that these answers help! You certainly are a candidate, however, I am not confident that you need one. The facelift procedure is an excellent method for shaping the face and create a sculpted face and jawline as well tightening the laxity of your skin and soft tissue. This will rid much of the wrinkles and laxity while adding volume to your face which has been lost with normal facial aging. It is a popular procedure for facial rejuvenation and restoration of a more youthful and invigorated appearance that will last for several years. Women of all ages are candidates for these surgical procedures. There is a trend for younger patients to do smaller procedures at earlier ages and maintain the appearance, rather than a drastic result later in life which is very noticeable. Given your desires, I do not foresee any changes associated with aging or laxity, but difficult to tell without an examination. If not, skin care and procedures for non-surgical facial rejuvenation (e.g, fillers, lasers, peels, etc,) or facial fat grafting may be the better option and meet your goals.

You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed with facial aesthetic surgery at anytime to go over options in order to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Facelift or non-surgical options for a 34 year old

Dear BASILCAT:

Thanks for sharing your photo! You look remarkable for your age.

I recommend you meet with a well experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial ENT whose armamentarium includes surgical, non-surgical and minimally invasive options. 

Based on your one photo, I do not see the need for surgery. Fillers, Botox or Dysport and retinol or tretanoin skin care will provide you the WOW you are seeking.

Life in the world is stressful, particularly now. For a holistic approach to your stresses consider a meeting with your GYN / primary care physician and check your thyroid and estrogen/progesterone/testosterone balances. 

There is no doubt that hormone imbalance will age you quicker and create this fatigue you allude to. 

I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Your photo is very flattering and it is difficult to properly assess your face when smiling.  I would agree that you have beautiful skin. Numerical age is not the major factor in determining whether a facelift should be performed. Your facial anatomy and physical signs of aging are really at the forefront of that recommendation. It is always best to see you in person or at least have additional photographs that show various views of your face at rest.

More than likely, at your age and from what I see in your photograph, you are likely best suited for non-surgical facial rejuvenation with Botox/ Xeomin/ Dysport and/ or fillers.  However, without seeing those additional views or you in person, I cannot say some type of surgery wouldn't be indicated. 

In the end, I would suggest consulting with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon for an evaluation in person. A doctor that only does fillers would bias you in that direction. You should also review your expectations with your doctor to make sure you are both on the same page. I wish you well!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

You don't need a facelift.

Hi.  Based on your photo, you do look young.  You don't have any of the aging issues that a facelift is typically designed to fix.  So, in your situation, there would only be risks and drawbacks associated with having this procedure, and very little positive benefit.  Don't do it now.  Maybe in 10 years.

However, there are some other options you might consider - like a light peel or laser, or perhaps some dermal fillers or Botox.

Best to see a board-certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Will a facelift procedure be beneficial for me?

A facelift procedure is designed to address sagging muscle and lax skin in the cheeks and neck. The ultimate goal is to create a nicely defined jaw and neck line. From the picture that you provided, you appear to have very nice jawline and neckline definition with no sagging. I do not think that you would benefit from a facelift.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photograph.  The short answer is no you look very young with excellent skin and based on the photograph you provided I see no laxity or aging changes.  Understand that a facelift is a significant operation which will leave scars continue hairline and around your tear and their potential complications that can be serious.  Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon.  If you do have aging changes the use of dermal fillers would be my first choice.

34 is way too young to be considering a facelift, even without assessing you photo

at this age you are way too young to be thinking of a facelift, unless you have a medical condition affecting the quality of your skin or have facial paralysis.  A more important question in your situation would not whether or not you are a candidate for a facelift, but why are you are considering a facelift.  What is the underlying concern you have to be considering a facelift?

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Not a facelift candidate

While there are unusual cases where a facelift on someone in their thirties would be appropriate,
it does not appear you are anywhere near a facelift candidate. Although one photo is hard to go by,
you show little sign of lower face laxity, jowling, or neck skin laxity, the most common reasons for having a facelift.

I would highly recommend a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to discuss skin care and nonsurgical options.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift at 34 after stress

Your smiling photograph doesn't allow an assessment because your smile pulls up your facial tissues.
But in general, women in their early 30s can benefit from a limited face lift - research shows that changes in women's faces starts earlier than it does in men, often in our mid to late twenties.

A face lift, fat transplants, Botox, fillers, skin care and peels are all useful for correction of early aging, depending on the changes.