Got lip injections. No difference? (photos)

I just got them today, and they hardly look bigger, even WITH swelling, so I'm worried they'll look how they used to when the swelling goes down. I paid $500 for this. Was I ripped off?

Lip changes

Hey Valley-

Thanks for your question! I think your lips look really great! I do see a nice change in the pre-injection photos. My advice would be to wait 2-4 weeks after your injection so you have plenty of time to digest the current size. If you would like them bigger (which may not look as natural as they do now), then more can surely be added.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Robb

Evans Physician

Full lips

I actually detect a nice difference between your before and after. However, if you are expecting fuller lips, then go back and get and additional 1/2 to 1 cc additional - you want them to look natural as well. 

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip fillers

The question you ask is an exceptionally good one has many people are having lip injections due to current trends.  When looking at your preprocedural image, one notes that you already have full lips.  However, if you had a full syringe  of filler placed, 1 cc, then he should have a notable increase in lip prominence and fullness.  Do you have images of your lips from the side?   Your lips may be more full, but you may not see this as well looking at your lips directly in the mirror and may better observe this from the side or an oblique angle.  If you do not feel that you received appropriate  volume in your lips that I would recommend that you let your provider know. 

I hope this information helps you as you make the right decision for you.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Injections and Expectations

You appear to have naturally full lips that you wanted to enhance.  One syringe of product with a patient will full lips may not appear significant.  You should return to your treating physician and discuss your concerns since it seems that you would want at least one more syringe of product.  Best, Dr. Green

Got lip injections. No difference?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. It appears that you had naturally large lips prior to your filler placement and as a result much of the filler went into stretching out your lips to make them "full" rather than adding to their size.  If you were looking for an incremental enlargement your next syringe would provide you with an increase in size.  Hope this helps.

Lip infections

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. I'm sorry you did not get the result you had hoped for. Your lips definitely look fuller to me, but it's true that they will likely appear less full as the swelling subsides. If you desire a fuller look when the swelling resolves in a couple of weeks, then you can either add more of the same product, or try another product like Voluma (this would be an off-label use). In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Got lip injections. No difference?

Hi, if you watched the surgeon or doctor inject a full syringe in your upper and lower lips then you can feel comfortable that the dermal filler was completely used.  If you'd like your lips "slightly" larger, it's just a matter of having a bit more dermal filler placed.

I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant for a permanent enhancement.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Lip injection Results

Dear valleyslily:

Looking at your photos, I notice mild swelling and an enhanced light reflex from your lips following lip augmentation.  My suggestion would be wait 1-2 weeks and re-assess final result then as it is too early to pass judgement.  Best wishes.