Will I achieve a good result at my current weight, if I am undergoing a mommy makeover? (Photo)

I am 28 years old, 5'8" and 190 lbs. I had a twin pregnancy 5 years ago and also breastfed for a year and a half. I plan on having a tummy tuck, breast lift and augmentation. I lost 45 lbs over the past 2 years and have kept it off. The loose skin on my abdomen and my sagging uneven breasts are driving me crazy! My weight loss has mostly stopped and I'm very concerned I won't get a good result at my current weight, but I also am so ready to get rid of this excess skin...

Healthy weight for mommy makeover

Many plastic surgeons use Body Mass Index to determine what weight is healthy for a mommy makeover and other surgery because a BMI of more than 30 correlates with increased risk of complications. At your current weight yours calculates to just under 29 so it is reasonable to start looking into into it by consulting with plastic surgeons. A full tummy tuck will take care of the loose skin in the abdominal area and reduce localized fat. You will likely want a breast lift plus augmentation to restore the shape of the breasts.

Will I achieve a good result at my current weight, if I am undergoing a mommy makeover?

If you are done with babies and are in good health, you will probably be very pleased with your surgical result.  It is unreasonable to require patients to be at an ideal weight before surgery, especially mothers of 5 year old twins!!!  I ask my patients to get down to a healthy, reasonable and sustainable weight prior to surgery.  This is rarely their ideal weight.

You are lucky to live in Kelowna.  Not only is it a lovely city, it has a group of very talented plastic surgeons!  

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Thank you for the question and pictures. You seem to be a good candidate for mommy makeover surgery; definitive advice however would necessitate much more information. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.
When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. It will be important to educate yourself about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and have a good idea of realistic expectations. Keep in mind, that these are major operations, associated with a significant physical (and often emotional) recovery period. Having enough help/support at home for yourself and children will be important part of the planning process. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover Outcome

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Your current BMI is 29 which is good! You should be an excellent candidate for a mommy makeover with good results.  Please consult with several board certified plastic surgeons for a detailed exam and recommendations.

Weight and Mommy Makeover

Your height protects you so you would do okay at present weight.   Have a TT and Breast uplift with augmentation.    You might  also consider liposuction of thighs and flanks.  See a qualified ABPS surgeon or two for consultation.   My Best,  Dr C

Mommy Makeover

Hi thanks for posting your pictures and for your inquiry. I believe you are a wonderful candidate for a mommy makeover. Please have an in person consultation so you can discuss your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly, good luck in your PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after weight loss

If your weight loss has stabilized, then it's reasonable to consider a tummy tuck. Based on your amount of excess skin I would recommend a tummy tuck with possibly a vertical incision as well to remove the excess skin from your upper-mid abdomen. A traditional tummy tuck will not address this area very well.

William Bruno, MD

Losing additional weight will certainly enhance your results but if your body is resistant to diet and exercise than you should consider going with surgery soon. 

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Mommy makeover

Mommy makeover may produce a 5 pound maximum reduction in your current weight. If you are currently happy with your weight, you are ready for your surgical procedure. If you intend to lose any more weight, do this prior to your procedures. You may require a circumferential lift, but this must be determined upon examination. You do not want to lose more than 15 pounds in your case. Otherwise, you will have generalized laxity of your skin. Find a board certified PS who is experienced in this area. Best wishes.

Mehdi Balakhani, MD, FACS
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after moderate weight loss

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

Congratulations on the weight loss!
  • You are heavy but you are tall but a good shape. 
  • If your weight has stabilized, have the tummy tuck.
  • I expect you to have a good to excellent result.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.