Radical Action for Keloids

I'm a medium-complected African-American male with a very resistant facial keloid for about 7 years. A year ago, I began developing a new one on the opposite side as the result of a healed MRSA infection. I also suffer from psuedo folliculitis which is the source of a smaller new keloid that is now showing up due to ingrown hairs. I went to several different doctors and explained that I have tried the injection route with no success before. What keloid removal treatment can you suggest, and how can I explain to the next provider that I'm looking for radical action?

Doctor Answers 2

Long term management of keloids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most keloids are treated with pressure, IIT, and laser.  In some cases, I would perform surgical excision of the keloid followed by the above mentioned therapies.  This yields excellent long term results. 

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Aggressive Therapy for Resistant Keloid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Keloid is exuberant proliferation of scar tissue beyond the original border of incision or trauma. One should seek a board-certified dermatologist to consider intralesional steroid injection, prescription for imiquimod (Aldara), and possibly silicone gel occlusion. For resistant keloid, one should consider intralesional 5-FU. Radiation therapy followed by excisional removal should be performed as a last resort; however, this would not be advisable for face and neck due to risk of thyroid cancer.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.