Best Keloid Scar Treatment on a Child's Face?

My 2-year-old son had a cut below the infraorbital rim. It didn't look deep so we didn't have it stitched. It was healing well until a few weeks ago, when keloid scar tissue formed at one edge. The entire scar is about a half inch long. Should I take him to a plastic surgeon? Can anything be done at this point or should I wait until he's older - but then, will waiting only make it worse? Any advice?

Doctor Answers 4

Take your child to a plastic surgeon who will probably recommend a period of observation before revision.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your child's injury is young.  If left alone it will probably get much better or even disappear.  A good plastic surgeon will probably observe this for some time to see if Mother Nature will do her job and fix the problem.

Time is your friend when it comes to objectionable scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As long as your son's scar is not pulling on his eyelid I would recommend being very conservative. A consultation with a facial plastic surgeon now is reasonable. However, scars improve spontaneously for the first year and you can expect his scar to constantly mature and improve during that time period. I would recommend against pursuing a surgical solution until he has had a chance to heal completely.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Keloid scar under the eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The first determination is whether an actual keloid exists or if it is simply a hypertrophic scar. The skin at the infraorbital ridge is not typically prone to keloids. Proper evaluation is essential. Scar revision is an option, but you'll want to wait until at least a year before contemplating it. Often the scar improves so much over a year that a revision is no longer necessary. Also, given the age of your child and the location, a revision may require anesthesia beyond simple local injection. Consult with a plastic surgeon, specifically a pediatric plastic surgeon to assess the scar and give you your options. If you need a referral, I suggest calling the children's hospital in your area for Board Certified Pediatric Plastic Surgeons.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Keloid scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would have a consult with a plastic surgeon now. This will allow the surgeon to evaluate the scar early, recommend conservative care and follow the change in the scar. Revision may have to wait 6 to 9 months, but the early evaluation can help the surgeon later.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.