What is the best sports bra to buy after surgery?

As much as I have enjoyed wearing the bra we get after surgery when I saw the dr today he said I could change out to a sports bra, nothing that lifts to high or has underwire. What sport bra or post op bra works best for comfort? Thank you in advance

Sports bra after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I recommend a sports bra that zips or buttons in the front.  I recommend it feel snug to you when choosing the size.  Best of luck to you!

Post op bra

Visit a sporting goods or department store and try several on.  You want one that is supportive, but not too tight.  Avoid underwire.  There is no one bra that is best.  The best one is the one that you feel most comfortable in.

Camille Cash, MD

Post op bra

Every doctor has different post op instructions so you should ask your surgeon what would work for you. 
The dressings vary from patient to patient. Some patients may be placed in a sports bra; others will wear a stabilizing elastic support strap. Your doctor will decide after surgery and in subsequent weeks, which dressing will suit your needs and how long you would need to wear them.

Sports bra after surgery

Under Armour and Victorias Secret have great sports bras but anything that zips up the front with no underwire will work just fine. 

Best sports bra

There are a number of companies including Champion that makes good sports bras. We generally recommend one that zips in front. It should fit comfortably but snugly. Your surgeon should be able to guide you as he or she knows the specifics about you and the scope of the surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Bra after surgery

Thank you for your question.  Post surgical instructions do vary from one physician to another.  That being said, my surgical protocol is for my breast augmentation patients to wear a surgical bra which we take measurements for on a pre operative visit.  Best of luck.

Post-op Bras

Thank you for your question. I advise my patients to purchase a sports bra that is supportive, zips/closes in the front, and has no padding or underwire. Danskin or Under Armour are both great brands. Good luck!

What type of sports bra after breast augmentation.

Thanks for the question. The brand of sports bra is not important. A bra that is comfortable, does not have an underwire and preferably zips or clasps in the front tends to work best postoperatively. One need not spend a whole lot of money on them. A trip to Target or Walmart should provide a number of options that will give you good support and comfort while the incision is healing. Best wishes and congratulations on your surgery!Dr. Morrissey

Best Sports Bra After Surgery

This is a a fun & great question! In my experience of doing over 500 cosmetic breast surgeries per year, we've started putting all of our patients into a Champions sports bra that has two front hooks & a zip up front (we give one to them, put it on right after surgery before they wake up). Under Armor also makes a good one. They range from $40-50. I generally do not recommend underwire for the first 3 weeks after surgery because it can irritate the IMF suture line. I also recommend to sleep in a sports bra for the first 2-3 months after surgery to sort of "train" the new breast shape. This is all anecdotal, but has worked well for me in my experience of over 5,000 cosmetic breast surgeries. Best of luck to you!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon