If I have a fractured nose, and I'm only getting it fixed for appearance, why do I have to get it done by an ENT doctor?

A while ago I went to an ENT doctor because my regular doctor said the reason I had a sinus infection might be caused by a deviated septum. So I went to an ENT doctor and he said that my nose wasn't deviated but it was probably fractured. He told me to wait a year and come back because I was to young to have it fixed at the time. Today I called a rhinoplasty surgeon to see if i could have it fixed. They said they wouldn't touch my nose if it was fractured.

Rhinoplasty for a crooked nose

Rhinoplasty as one of the most difficult procedures to perform in cosmetic surgery, so it is important to go to a double board certified ENT/Facial Plastic Surgeon who has  extensive experience with the procedure.  In addition to  ratings,reviews and testimonials, look at your prospective surgeon's photo gallery to get an idea of what they can accomplish.  Straightening the crooked nose  can be accomplished with osteotomies and spreader graft placement.  For more information and many examples, please see the link below  to our before and after's rhinoplasty Photo Gallery

Fixing Fractured Nose

I understand your frustration. How old are you? When did you have the nasal trauma?  An ENT, plastic surgeon , or facial plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty surgery can do your operation even if your nose was fractured. I typically do rhinoplasty surgery starting at age 15-16 in ladies and 17-18 in young men.

Fractured nose and rhinoplasty

I understand that you saw an ENT after a nasal fracture. ENT surgeons are skilled at reducing nasal fractures and can address your nasal obstruction. After a year with the nasal fracture, a rhinoplasty would address your nose for symmetry and nasal obstruction. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

It sure can be done

I must admit (not knowing your age) that I'm not sure why someone would be hesitant to address your fractured nose. The nose is a functional and cosmetic unit--both need to be addressed. I routinely fix fracture noses by performing rhinoplasties. Once the bones from a nasal fracture have healed (usually 4-6 weeks after an injury), it is safe to start the evaluation and treatment  of nasal fractures. 

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after a fracture

If you have a fracture from trauma, in the immediate period the bones can be reset. This just involves pushing the bones back into the right position. After nasal fracture,  if you want a formal rhinoplasty, then we wait six months to a year. This is to make sure that the bones have healed and that we can safely do the procedure.   Rhinoplasty can be performed by both plastic surgeons and ENT. The key is to go to a specialist who performs rhinoplasty regularly. As you mentioned, rhinoplasty can be performed for cosmetic reasons or functional reasons. Please express your concerns to your physician.

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon