What should I do with my nose? Should I keep icing it to see how it turns out or turn to reconstructive surgery? (Photo)

So originally my nose became dislocated a couple years ago when I was head butted. I never did anything to remedy it and left it like that. Recently I was kicked in my nose and I try lifting it and it cracks everytime. I'm just not sure how to approach this.

Injured nose

giscanez, you should have your nose evaluated by a qualified facial plastic surgeon.  The nose commonly swells after injury and icing it will help reduce the puffiness.  If your nose is fractured or broken, and shifted out of place, you may benefit from a procedure called a closed reduction to attempt to put it back in place.  However, there is a limited amount of time when the nose can be re-positioned without further surgery.  You may also wait until the nose has healed completely and then obtain a thorough evaluation with a facial plastic surgeon who can help correct any functional and cosmetic concerns.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  The best advice would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, preferably one that does a number of rhinoplasty/nasal surgery procedures, to perform an evaluation of the nose.  Together you can build the surgical plan that will best help you.With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Broken Nose?

It sounds like you did break your nose; I recommend you see a rhinoplasty/nasal surgeon very soon evaluate you nose to make sure there are no complications that should be corrected immediately and discuss alternative  treatments if you do have a broken nose.

Rhinoplasty after trauma to the nose

It is important to seek out an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon for a thorough examination of the internal and external portion of the nose to document what is going on your nose.  After an examination, surgical options can be discussed which may include a septoplasty to straighten the internal portion of the nose, and reduction of the nasal fracture  to fix the crooked external portion of the nose. For more information and many rhinoplasty before and after results for the crooked nose, please see the link and the video below

Nasal trauma

Dear giscanez, I would schedule a consultation to see a facial plastic surgeon to evaluate your nose after trauma. They can feel your nose and do a good external and internal nasal examination to evaluate for any injury that may be cosmetic or functional. Best of luck.

Gina Chu, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon