How to get rid of my styes/chalazions? (photos)

I got my first chalazion/stye on my right eye about a year ago in the spring time. I did heat compressions throughout, but still no change. It has never hurt or anything but it won't come off. Today on my left eye I noticed swelling and I immediately started heat compressions(this one hurt to the touch). I am not sure if it is possible to get a stye/chalazion because of an allergy, but i got both during the spring time and i am currently being bothered in the eyes and nose due to pollen.

Doctor Answers 8

Allergies & Styes

Can your allergies cause you stye? Yes and no. I think what's probably happening is that your allergies are causing you to rub your eyes and this irritation is leading to the styes. Continue with the compresses but also schedule an appointment with a surgeon to discuss having the stye removed. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Chalazion treatment

Hi Toosi321,

Thanks for your question. It is not likely that your situation is due to allergies but rather the rubbing of the eyes that happens due to allergies that can cause you to get an infection and irritation. When the stye has been present for so long, it will need to be surgically drained but can be done in the office. Continue the warm compresses as you have and try and not rub your eyes in the future and perhaps use allergy medication to help with the irriation. Hope this helps.

All the best,
Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Carlos Mata, MD, MBA, FACS
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

How to get rid of my styes/chalazions?

Long standing eyelid stye (chalazion) get hard/firm and can only resolve with excision/removal. See link below. It is done under local anesthesia in the office.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 70 reviews

You might also like...

Agree with Dr. Martin regarding your chalazia.

Routine eyelid scrubs are often recommended.  However, I do not believe a scientific study of these has ever been done to confirm these recommendations.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Los Angeles Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews


A chalazion is an inflammed eyelid gland.  It is not from pollen. You did the correct thing by using warm compresses as soon as you feel it developing.  This is often enough to get it to go away.  You should also see an oculoplastic surgeon.  We will often inject these with some steroid if they persist.  If they don't go away with conservative treatment you can always excise them after about 3 months.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 26 reviews


these can come and go.Usually they may need to be excised but some may repond to heat and antibiotics.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

Treatment of "styes" (chalazions):

Thank you for sharing your question. To avoid styes, wash your eyelids everyday with soap and water. As soon as you feel one developing, initiate hot compresses for an hour per day. See an Oculoplastic Surgeon if the stye is not resolving for antibiotics, injection of steroid and/or incision. I hope this helps.

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 133 reviews

Chalazions - how to treat them

Thank you for asking about your chalazions (styes).

  • These are quite annoying and may be related to the pollen 
  • They are the result of blocked glands along the rim of the eye.
  • Heat compresses are fine but blocked glands often get infected.
  • You may need to see your doctor for antibiotics - once the inflammation is gone, a surgery to have the glands removed.
  • This is a  minor office procedure -
  • See a plastic or ophthalmoplastic surgeon.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.