Do you need to lose all your weight before getting a tummy tuck for the best result?

Is it true that you get the best result of a tummy tuck after loosing all your weight first than getting the procedure? By best result I'm talking about scars wise and belly button looking more like your own use to be?

Weight loss and tummy tuck results

Thank you for this wonderful question! Weight stability is very important when discussing any body contouring procedure. I prefer my patients to be within 10-15% of their goal weight prior to surgery which allows for the best contouring results including belly button and incision results. I always suggest an open and honest conversation with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. You should be offered the opportunity to view before/after photos and have all of your concerns and questions answered. I am a very big advocate of second opinions as well. I encourage multiple consultations in order to make sure you are 100% comfortable with the procedure and provider you are selecting. I do hope you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck! 

South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and weight

You will get the best results if you are close to your goal/ideal weight.  That said, to determine if you are a good candidate requires more information and a physical exam.   Its best to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Best Result from TT

Dear fou,

I recommend my patients be on their lighter side when they have a tummy tuck. The less intra-abdominal fat you have the tighter we can make the muscle repair. In addition, if the abdominal skin flap is thinner the circulation will be safer.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Weight loss prior to surgery

Yes, it is best for you to be as close as possible to your ideal weight before having surgery for the best result long term. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon to be examined and discuss your options. Good luck!

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Best to be at ideal weight before any type of body contouring procedure

Scars always heal best when there is less tension present at time of closure. That said, there is less tension on incision if there's less fat/weight present at closure. Your belly button will lie in a better position and will be less stressed if you are not overweight. I hope this helps. Best wishes,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely

You are right. Patients who are ideal body weight are ideal candidates and get best results from tummy tuck. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Dr. Derby sang Caputo

thank you for your question.

All bodys and organisms are diferente. I suggest you to consult a board certified PS and go over all your concerns.

Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children, get your weight within 10 pounds of your ideal weight, and have a BMI less than 30 before undergoing an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles and liposuction of selective areas, in order to achieve the best long term cosmetic result with the least potential complications. 

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do  without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Robert Singer, M.D., FACS La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Results are better and complications are lowest for people who are at weight less than 30 BMI. It depending on how much you weigh now. Pl consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Tummy Tuck - weight loss beforehand

Thank you for your question. It is definitely highly-encouraged that you attempt to achieve your desired or goal weight prior to having a Tummy Tuck procedure, as fluctuations in weight after the surgery may affect your aesthetic outcome - as well as your body's ability to promote optimal healing.