I am 16 years old and I have had asymmetrical gynecomastia for about 3 years. Should I consider surgery? (Photo)

I have had asymmetric gynecomastia for about 3 years and it is not going away. It started during puberty and has been the same since. I realize there is a chance it goes away in a few years but it has caused a lot of self-consciousness that has made me avoid pool parties and trips to the beach along with hiding it with clothing and bad posture. Is a surgery a good option? Also, you can tell by the pictures I am skinny and have never been overweight Thanks!

asymmetric gynecomastia for about 3 years TX

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection. 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering? 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery

Have surgery

You should have surgery at this time.  That will fix your concerns for ever.  You can expect excellent outcome.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Asymmetrical gynecomastia

Thank you for the photos for reference. I think you have valid concerns.  Based on your statements, I believe that surgery should be considered. The impact this has on your self esteem, confidence is significant at your age.  At your consultation, you should expect to be asked more about possible causes and medical history, and an exam.  Since you are under age, your parents should be present for the consultation.  
Definitely make an in-person consultation with a PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.

Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr Morales
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Asymmetrical gynecomastia

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos. Surgery would be the best option for you to address the asymmetry. I would visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can discuss your options with you. These options can include liposuction and/or direct excision of your breast glands through an areolar incision.

Asymmettric Gynecomastia

Hello. Your condition is very common and your concerns even more so. It is very evident that you are close or at your ideal weight and it is also evident that you have assymetrical Gynecomastia. In my opinion ot will not resolve without surgery. 

Currently, the most important indication for surgery is the detrimental influence on your social life and on your self esteem. You would definitely require authorization from your parents to get surgery since you are less than 18, but I do recommend the surgery at this time. The periareolar approach is best. Gland and fat resection is necessary. Liposuction alone will NOT resolve the problem. 

Jaime Caloca, Jr., MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Concerned about Male Breast Asymmetry at a Young Age

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. 

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18. 

Unequal or unilateral gynecomastia is not an uncommon condition. It is more significant when there are very noticeable differences between the two breasts. Usually, the degree of difference between the two breasts is not severe. Through a study of his patients, however, more than 80% of male breasts are not symmetrical, but the severity varies greatly from patient to patient. Patients should take this into consideration while examining their chests prior to surgery.

In addition to correcting the difference between breast sizes, the #areola often shrinks when #gynecomastia excision is performed. In more pronounced cases, the areola may even be larger. When the glandular tissue is removed, the areola #symmetry may improve.
The conditions that make up #asymmetry can often be corrected to some degree. It is very individual and varies for each patient. Every prospective surgical candidate should discuss this condition with an experienced plastic surgeon prior to surgery. The plastic surgeon’s role is to educate each individual patient as to the possible degree of improvement that can be realistically achieved in his particular case. 

Male breast development which has not gone away in 3 years, won't go away without surgical removal. The gynecomastia surgery can be done through a small incision and should allow you to show your chest without being embarrassed. 

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Surgery at 16?

If you have had gynecomastia for three years, it probably is not going to go away on its own. For adolescents the best time to have surgery is when it starts to interfere with their social life. The good news is at your age the skin has great elasticity and will contract back to the muscle very well after the gland is removed. With your parents support seek a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD