Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair. Will I have a harder time recuperating?

I am scheduled for a tummy tuck with muscle repair. I have had two prior surgeries gall bladder removal and adrenal gland removal. Will this surgery impact those areas in any way? Also my doctor claims my body may have inflammation. I am going to take supplements prior to surgery. Am I still a good candidate if everything else is fine? Will I have a harder time recuperating? Also how does this type of surgery compare with other surgeries?

Tummy Tuck Recovery

A typical full abdominoplasty is a powerful procedure that can flatten and remove excess skin and fat from both above and below the belly button and tighten the abdominal muscles. As with any surgery, the pain is usually worse in the 2-3 days immediately after surgery and tends to improve after that. Management of pain is usually through a combination of narcotic and non-narcotic pain medications taken by mouth, oral medications that lessen muscle spasm, and long acting local anesthetics injected during surgery or infused from a small compressed ball. The recovery for an abdominoplasty is typically 2-3 weeks. The ability to return to work and everyday activities is variable and depends on many factors including the type of work, the pain tolerance of the patient, and the extent of the procedures. The pain is often compared to a C-Section in intensity. A follow-up consultation with your plastic surgeon would give you a chance to clarify these issues before surgery. For more info see the link below.

Tummy tuck and muscle repair

Hi there, thanks for your questio, a fundamental part of the tummy tuck operation is the approach is repair of the muscles. Whilst this repair does affect the sensation and discomfort perceptions postoperatively its negligible in terms of its impact on overall recovery. Hope this helps good luck. 

Ross Farhadieh, MBBS, MD, FRACS, FRCS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair - Recovery

Muscle repair is usually an integral part of tummy tuck surgery. It helps contribute to the flatter stomach and narrowed waistline.It is similar in terms of recovery when compared to most abdominal surgeries.As long as your PS and GP are happy to proceed - your previous procedures should not negatively impact your upcoming TT!Check in with your team.Best of luckDr Nodwell

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Tummytuck Recovery

While photos and/or physical exam would be helpful, it sounds like Tummytuck and abdominal muscle -plication (repair) is your best option. While you may have scarring from the other surgeries, that is not a contraindication. Your surgeon should be certain that you do not have any incisional hernia, but if present, they can be repaired at the time of Tummytuck. Recovery should bot be any worse, even with hernia repair. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.It is important to consult with your plastic surgeon and medical doctor about these matters. As long as your doctor medically clears you for surgery, you should be a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Your previous surgeries will not impact your tummy tuck although your recovery period may be a bit more intense and longer in duration that your two previous surgeries. Best of luck.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with MR. WIll I have a harder time recuperating?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  As your previous surgeries largely involved areas of your stomach not involved during a tummy tuck they will not materially impact your surgery.  Assuming you have been cleared for the procedure you are still a candidate and will not have a harder recuperation.  Depending on the amount of muscle work entailed your tummy tuck may require a greater amount of recovery time than either the gallbladder or adrenal gland removal.  Be sure to voice your concerns with your surgeon, they are in the best position to provide you with more definite advice.

Unless there are medical reasons to preclude muscle repair, muscle repair will generally create a better result.
Kenneth Hughes, MDLos Angeles, CA