My transplanted hair is growing instead of falling! (Photo)

I did hair transplantation one month ago. During this period I have lost 1/3 part of the transplanted hair but I feel as if remaining hair is growing instead of falling. Is this normal? My pics are attached here which was taken yesterday. Plz suggest I am worried.

Hair is NOT falling out after a transplant! Is this a problem??

Dear robbybasnet,

Thank you for writing in with this question. The good news is that it is completely normal for up to 80% of the follicles to shed their hairs, and I rarely see less than 50% of the follicles shed their hairs, even when concomitantly performing a PRP with ACell® procedure to aid in the healing in of the new grafts. On occasion, however, some of the hairs continue to grow where they are placed.

Let’s examine why this is happening. Unlike nail beds, which make our fingernails for the duration of our lives, hair follicles make hair in cycles. The timing of the cycles is as follows:

Anagen (growing phase): 2-7 years
Catagen (short phase before resting phase): 2-3 weeks
Telogen (resting phase): 3-8 months

Every single day about 50 to 100 hair follicles on a person's head (with no hair loss) enter a regressive phase called Catagen, and then a resting phase called Telogen, which lasts a total of about 3-8 months. As a result, every day people shed 50-100 hairs, and at the same time 50-100 hairs re-enter the growth, or Anagen phase. If a person has no hair loss, it looks the same all year round. It's like going up to a pine tree, a tree that appears never to lose its needles.....yet there are thousands of pine needles under the pine tree.....like your scalp hair, the pine tree is constantly making and shedding pine needles.....on your scalp, your follicles are constantly making and shedding hairs.

The stress of a hair restoration procedure typically triggers most of the follicles to come out of the anagen phase of growth and enter catagen, followed by 3-8 months of telogen. The hairs re-enter the anagen, or growing phase, after 3-8 months. This is just how normal hair follicles behave. By 12 months I would consider you at the end of the "new hair" growth. Some people may take up to 15 or even 18 months to see the full effects from a hair restoration procedure. But don’t worry if the hairs don’t fall out; they are just going to continue growing as if they were still back in the donor area.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Kind Regards,
Ken Anderson, MD

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

If your transplanted hair is growing and not falling, consider it a good thing. If this worries you

If your transplanted hair is growing and not falling, consider it a good thing. If this worries you then contact your doctor for a recheck.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant

Hello robbiebasnet
Thank you for your question and photos, and congratulations on your transplant, it is a big step as I know from personal experience.
You should be excited, not worried, it's great news that your transplanted hair is growing, enjoy the results.
Keep up with your reviews and consider PRP to increase follicular strength and vigour.
All the Best for a Great Outcome!

This is rare

but can be very good. We see this in a few patients and it usually works out well but a follow up exam is often recomended to make sure all is going well.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Hair keeps growing

Good for you. In about 5% of people who had a hair transplant, the hair will grow immediately after the surgery

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon