I'm worried about the hematoma that oozed out. I am 4 weeks post op and it looks scary. Has anyone had this happen? (photo)

I am keeping it packed and dressed. I'm worried about scaring.

Post-op hematoma

Thank you for the question and the photo. It is rather difficult to guarantee a reliable evaluation of your concern without conducting an in-person exam. Minor hematomas (i.e., collection of clotted blood) may drain out of the incision or reabsorb without requiring any intervention. Large hematomas, however, may require a surgical removal. It is imperative that you alert your plastic surgeon to your concerns to determine a course of action.  An in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Tummy wound

Thanks for your inquiry and sorry for your struggles, but almost every plastic surgeon who routinely does tummy tucks will see a wound like this at some point. If you use nicotine, stop please.  Otherwise it is best to be following up with your surgeon closely to get the wound healed.  Then wait at least 6 months to see how the body remodels the scar.  Finally address any residual concerns at that time.  Focus on healing first and best of luck. 

probably does look scary to you, but allow it to heal by itself .  if the scar does not look right then it can be easily revised

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

If you had a hematoma or seroma under your abdominal skin post-operatively, then it is best to have it out.  This is not uncommon after abdominoplasty.  It is appropriate to pack an open wound until it closes on its own so that it doesnt get infected.  You will likely have a widened scar in that area that eventually can be revised.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon