Vinegar soaks on incisions.

I had a laser treatment in the past and I was really impressed with how nicely I healed with frequent vinegar soaks. Now I'm going to have a breast lift and I wondered if there is any benefit to doing this on the incision sites to help them heal better.

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Tuberous Breasts

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Vinegar soaks

I would not recommend vinegar soaks to my patients after surgery.  I prefer antibiotic ointment initially and then a silicone based cream at around 3 weeks.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Vinegar soaks on incisions.

I do not recommend vinegar soaks following your breast surgery. It is important to follow the directions as provided by your surgeon and do not vary without consultation and discussion with your physician. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Vinegar soaks for surgery

Your question is a very logical one considering your history, but the answer is no, vinegar soaks are not appropriate for breast surgery.  I use vinegar soaks for my plasma resurfacing patients here in Santa Barbara, but that is to help the resurfaced skin heal.  In the case of breast surgery, your outer layer skin is not an issue- the healing is at a deeper level and the vinegar soaks would likely just irritate your tissue.

Dr. L

Vinegar soaks on incisions.

No, that is not the same. Vinegar is used to raise the acidity of damaged skin and thus improve the healing. Incisions are not the same as laser treatment. Follow your surgeon's recommendations.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Wound management after breast lift

Thanks for your inquiry.  I suggest you discuss any scar management directly with your operative surgeon. We are all very particular about approved scar regimens. I wish you the best of luck with surgery.