Revision Facelift -- Do I Need a Specialist?

I have found a surgeon in my region who has proposed a 3rd revision facelift of surgeries done by other surgeons. He is a very experienced, respected cosmetic surgeon and about 1/4 of his practice is facework. He said he has done 2nd facelifts (1st revisions). I believe he has good judgment, advanced skill, multiple techniques, and good hands. Could this possibly make up for lack of extensive FL revision experience?

Revision facelift surgery requires surgical experience

Revision facelift surgery requires greater surgical experience than a primary facelift in order to achieve a natural-looking result with a low complication rate.  A third revision is likely to be more challenging than a first revision. However, if your surgeon is skilled as you describe, that is the most important factor. Looking at your surgeon's portfolio of before-and-after photos can be very helpful, and it is reasonable to ask that your surgeon show you pictures of his work. If you are comfortable with his answers to your questions, that can also be very useful in reaching your decision.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Facelift Revision

You do need a specialist. You need to evidence (many photos ) of before and after images that show improvement of people who have had undesired results rom previous facial plastic surgery.  Photos alone are not enough, but they are a start.

if your concerns are areas that have been puled too tight and have hollowed, search for a fat grafting specialist. And again, look at photos. Photos alone tell only part of the story, but it is an important part. If a plastic surgeon cannot provide you with adequate photos, you may wish to move on. 

In my practice, some of the most heartbreaking, and ultimately some of the most rewarding cases are facelift revision cases.    Most people want the same thing from facial rejuvenation surgery. They want to look the best they can. They don't want to look like they have had surgery and they certainly don't want to look like a plastic surgery "victim" I have had patients who have had life-changing experiences because they look "normal again" Of course my goal is to make them look beautiful and normal.  

I would advise you to stay away from surgeons who earn money and notoriety by pointing out unfortunate plastic surgery outcomes of celebrities in the press.  Physicians who REALLY treat well known patients are very discreet  I think it is loathsome that some plastic surgeons publicly point out plastic surgery results that are less than superb. 

Finally, I think there are both plastic surgeons, like myself, and otolaryngologists (facial plastic surgeons) who could be capable of providing you with a wonderful result.  Take your time and do a lot of research. Realself is an excellent resource. Simply by going through all the before and after photos you can learn a lot.  I wish you the very best.  I have posted an image of one of my patients who was seeking a facelift revision. If your starting point is anything like this, I urge you to seek out a surgeon with extensive experience in fat grafting

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Revision

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeron for a Facelift Revision

Typically, it's best to wait 6 to 12 months depending on the reason for #revision. As with all #cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical #procedure and #revision, there are some risks of unhappy outcome or other complications which your surgeon should discuss with you during your consultation. Your procedure should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for another revision surgery.

Revision Facelifts

This is a good question.  If a proper facelift is done, rarely does a patient need a revision. A proper facelift includes working on the deep layer or the SMAS layer for supporting the face. If a skin only facelift is performed, this will usually result in the patient needing a revision.  I will agree that not all surgeons are comfortable with revision facelifts and the surgeon should have experience in this area. There are certain techniques and planning for revisions that are necessary.  Please be careful in choosing your surgeon and inquire about if he does revisions.

Revision Facelifts

3rd revision facelift

It sounds like you found a very successful and respected plastic surgeon who has an 'eye' for detail and has a good reputation.  It also sounds as though he does some facework.  Facelift surgery is a complex procedure to begin with and facelift revision can be even more challenging.  Many times this means finding a very skilled and experienced facelift surgeon and others it means finding a surgeon who you feel comfortable with and will be there for you after the procedure.  Usually, a combination of the above is best to get the best experience and outcome. 

3rd revision facelift

Seek the Best for A Facelift Revision

I am sorry to hear about your concerns and problems following your facelift. In answer to your question, I agree that the most critical decision to be made in achieving the best plastic surgical result is picking the most experienced and talented, that is the best, plastic surgeon possible. Too often, patients choose a physician based on a catchy ad, the brand name of a technique, the basis of one or two before and after photos, or their web site’s search engine ranking. These criteria will not find the most experienced and talented plastic surgeon. See the below link for suggestions on how to do this:

Seek the Best for A Facelift Revision

Revision facelift specialist. Who is the best facelift surgeon in the country?

If you are undergoing a third revision you need to seek your surgeon very carefully.  There are minor revisions (tuck-ups) and major revisions.  If you are undergoing a minor revision, it doesn't make too much of a difference. However, if you are getting a facelift all over again you need to be sure to avoid performing the same type of facelift you had the time before.  This can dramatically worsen your issues. This is because the majority of surgeons tend to remove skin in the same vector. You need to avoid that and avoid an excessive skin dissection in revision cases.  Most patients need an extended deep plane facelift to make things look better and more normal (non-operated).  There are not as many revision specialists in the country as you would think however.  They are typically located in the more metropolitan areas.

The only way you'll know is to look at revision before and after photos and see how the surgeon addressed the problems at hand.  Compare several surgeons to see which aesthetic you like the most.   

Ben Talei, MD

Ben Talei, MD

We do quite a bit of revision face lifts.  Some are to correct things and most are because 7-15 years has gone by and patients want a 'tuck'- meaning there was nothing wrong with their original lift.  You may or may not need a third revision, and it sounds as if your surgeon is qualified to do it.

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Ramtin Kassir, MD

A third revision of the facelift is most unusual and should be performed unexperienced plastic surgeon.

I'm not sure why a third revision of the facelift is needed in your case. Nevertheless, with each operation there or diminishing returns. This should definitely be your last operation should be performed by someone who has a lot of experience with facelifts.

3rd Revision Facelift

I am not sure that there are revision facelift specialists but there are certainly specialists in facelift surgery.

The surgery can be performed by many surgeons well experienced in facelift surgery. But it is the aesthetic vision and what the surgeon does (and not does, for this matter) that will determine the final outcome. There are multiple technical nuances in secondary and definitely tertiary lifts that can make the difference between a great result and a mediocre one. Although there is no firm number, but most experienced facelift surgeons perform in excess of 50 facelifts a year with maybe 10 percent representing secondary surgeries.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

3rd Revision Facelift

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon