Tape vs gel? (Photos)

I'm using a silicone gel massaged into incisions twice daily. My doc didn't recommend strips or tape but it seems like that's what everyone else does. He's been practicing for a long time so I trust him but I want to make sure I'm doing everything to minimize redness. Should I do both? I am 4 weeks post lift

Tape or Gel for Treatment of Incisions and Scars

The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.

Anny breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

Scar management after mastopexy

can be done with either method.  My patients all have the option of using BioCorneum (silicone based) on their healing incisions if they like.  I do not push scar products as most scars heal well.  But if  you're wanting to be proactive, the silicone produce and tape can both be done, separately or even together.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tape vs gel for scar treatment?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast lifting procedure; base of your photographs, it seems like your plastic surgeon has done a nice job for you and that you are healing nicely. I think your current incision line care is just fine; the use of silicone gel or sheeting  works well for most patients. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with long-term.

Scar care

Every surgeon is different int arms of scar care. You should check with your surgeon and follow his instructions.  

Tape vs gel?

Both silicone gel strips and paper tape work well and have little down side. See link below for more information. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

4 weeks scar management

Thanks for your inquiry and pictures.  You seem to be getting a nice result. At four weeks, I am not sure that taping has a role.  At this juncture, ask your doctor about his/her thoughts on silicone strips vs silicone gels. Good Luck.  

Tape vs gel?

Thank you for your question and congratulation for your recent procedure. From the photos you have an excellent result and good healing. As long as you have the time to do the massage regularly, then the silicone gel is effective. The alternative the tape is good too. In that case, no massage is needed. However I would rely on the advice of your surgeon, as the wisest option, considering he is the one who performed your procedure. 

All the best

Andrea Marando

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon