How do you get the swelling down after breast reduction surgery?

Lipo-lift, breast lift, breast reduction, mastopexy, benelli, augmentation mastopexy

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size. It works very well if there are asymmetries. I can also use the removed fat as a natural breast augmentation by grafting the fat back into the breast to create more projection or into the top to create more cleavage. This procedure can also be combined with an implant if needed or wanted.  It should not affect nipple sensation, mammograms, cancer risk or breast-feeding. If you gain or lose weight, the transferred fat can do the same. It takes months for swelling to resolve.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.  

Dr. Schwartz 

#RealSelf100Surgeon 

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast Reduction and swelling

Swelling is common and normal after any surgery- including breast reduction. There's really not much you can do to help decrease the swelling- usually TIME alone will take care of it. Just be patient and your body will resolve the swelling on its own. Sometimes it make take up to 3 months for the swelling to fully resolve. Take Care.  

Helen Perakis, MD
Nanuet Plastic Surgeon

Reducing swelling

Hello and thank you for your question,

While there is no way to make swelling go away after surgery other than time, there are some things you can do it reduce swelling. Drinking plenty of fluids after surgery can help flush the body of the edema. Another way to reduce your swelling is to keep any lifting and activity you do with your arms and chest after surgery minimal. Swelling after a reduction can last a few months, so don't be alarmed if you are still seeing swelling a few weeks after surgery. Wish you the best of luck with your recovery!

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon